Whats the biggest _____ you have ever seen on a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far the biggest are the Whale Sharks at the Galapagos Islands. I got some fantastic pictures, even one right down her mouth.

Next summer I'm diving the Pt. Hardy, BC area. Sure hope I see an octopus (like TSandM) and a jelly (like Mauifish) Not greedy am I? :)

Thalassamania:
Sorry your question was: … and I misunderstood your intent, the plural vs. singular construct of the question being a bit fractured. In any case I’d have to split it between the Arctic Jelly which made me feel like I’d swum though a microscope and been shrunk down … it was really weird … looking through your mask at structures that your not used to seeing except with a dissecting scope; and the Tunas … they are avatars of power and speed.

We were servicing some instruments out on Aden rock in the Gulf of Maine. The bottom there’s about 110 feet. It was a great day; one could just make out the surface from the bottom. A lot of herring were in the area for their late summer spawning. Down we went through a loose school to the tide gauges. It took about ten minutes to dump the data and reset the gauges; the light level was low enough that we needed our dive lights.

Our tasks done, we were getting ready to leave … in the blink of an eye there was a snap from an eerie deep green to pitch black. Mounds of herring pressed close in. I was blind. No gauges, no buddy, not even my dive light was visible. I raised my light, pointing straight toward my mask. The beam burst into a million mirrored reflections off the herrings’ scales. I took a slow deep breath and began to ascend.

Carefully I maintained slight positive buoyancy. Neither could I see my gauges nor judge my upward progress by anything except the scintillations of my light reflecting off the herring that had closed tightly in upon me.

As quickly as the dark had closed in on me it suddenly was gone. My eyes were momentarily dazzled. I exhaled sharply and sank back into darkness. Another breath started me up slowly and this time as my head broke out of the tightly packed herring school, I exhaled gently and stopped my ascent. From my chin down and out as far out as I could see, there was a black mass of squirming fish so closely packed that there was little room even for water.

I rotated to my left through about ¾ of a turn. I could see one of my three comrades coming up out of the herring mass, perhaps twenty feet away. She ascended about ten feet and pitched back to horizontal, leveling out and smoothly neutralizing her buoyancy. A circular shaped motion of her light indicated she was fine, had seen me and inquired as to my status with that unique economy of the underwater “OK”. I brought my seemingly detached left hand up out of the darkness and responded with a circle of my light.

Suddenly she pointed jerkily to her left, arm stiff and outstretched. I swiveled my head right, and there is one of the most incredible sights I’ve ever witnessed. Six Giant Bluefin Tuna are moving toward us, in formation, the pass right between us. Each fish is the size of a dinner table that would seat eight. They’re moving fast yet appear to not be moving a muscle. They glide past us, each with a huge left eye that stutters on me for a fraction of a second and then moves on to seek it’s normal prey. We watched them almost disappear, circle right, and move to the other side of the herring school. Then they came right back by us and then went left to the other side of the sea mount.

The black shinny mass beneath us started to break up, the herring resumed more normal individual distances expanding their school upward and outward, once again enveloping me in darkness that slowly lighted to the deep green of the first part of out dive. I swam up to my teammate and trimmed out. We moved to the down line and ascended to our deep stop. Being well out of the lee of the sea mount the current was rather stiff so we tied off our Jon lines, waited a minute and then ascended to our 20 foot deco stop.

Decompression complete we signaled the Zodiac, the Coxswain waived us off as he was already heading to pick up our other two team mates at the alternate surface float. Once we were in the Zodiac everyone was talking excitedly about the Tuna, there had been a big school of them working the herring and every one of us had been blessed with a good long view of at least several of them.

That is without a doubt the most amazing well written story I have ever read, SPECTACULAR!! Do you write professionaly? Either way that was an amazing experience I am glad you shared! I am about to read it again.

TSandM:
It was a Giant Pacific Octopus. I was so excited, I was pointing frantically with both hands at this THING sitting below me (as though my three companions couldn't see it) and I think I was squeaking through my regulator. I was still wound up 20 minutes later when we surfaced, and the first thing I said was, "Did you SEE that octopus?"
I have always wanted to see a Giant Pacific Octopus, I guess that means diving where they dwell {how much do those dry suits cost?}:D
Great story!! I could feel your excitement

Mauifish:
That is without a doubt the most amazing well written story I have ever read, SPECTACULAR!! Do you write professionaly? Either way that was an amazing experience I am glad you shared! I am about to read it again.
Thank you. What I write professionally is rather dull. The closest I come to real professional writing is the Hemingway look-a-like contest in Key West. I am working on a book about research diver training that includes some of the stories I shared here. Some others:
  1. Pt. Lobos
  2. Check out
  3. el Toro
  4. Four short ones

Thalassamania:
Thank you. What I write professionally is rather dull. The closest I come to real professional writing is the Hemingway look-a-like contest in Key West. I am working on a book about research diver training that includes some of the stories I shared here.

Some others:

Pt. Lobos

Check out

Four short ones

Most definatly will check these out when I get some time, well it's almost midnight here in Koh Samui, gotta get some shut eye. I say again, that was a great story, it is what I enjoy listening to when talking about diving!

Well, I've got over 200 dives here, and I've seen a bunch of small octopus, and "viewed" a number of big ones. But you usually just see a tentacle with a bunch of big suckers on it, tucked away under a rock. This is the only time I've seen anything anywhere near this big out in the open.

Another very large sea creature I've had the good fortune to see was the humpback whale who checked us out on a pinnacle off Lanai. That was another time I tried to jump up and down underwater. We were at the end of the dive, and everyone had ascended but me, Peter and the DMs. We were cruising the top of the pinnacle, just burning off gas, when one of the DMs pointed out into the blue water. I looked hard, expecting to see an eagle ray or a shark, but there was only an amorphous dark patch in the water. As I watched, the dark patch got bigger, darker, and began to take on form. It turned out to be what was probably a juvenile humpback whale. It glided past us, turned, and made another pass, at the end of which it did a barrel roll and came by one more time. As it disappeared into the blue, I saw one of the DMs vertical in the water, with both arms raised, clearly giving the "YES!!!!" signal.

Peter got it on video, bless him, or I'd wonder if it had been real.

When we returned the tanks to the dive shop, the fellow behind the counter told us he has over 6000 dives in Maui, and has yet to see a whale underwater.

Whale of a tale!

Bull shark, 10 feet, at Bat Island, Costa Rica. I actually went in the water looking for bull sharks. So this shark comes right at me, 10 feet long and THICK, mouth full of teeth and I'm thinking "oh boy, Darwin awards, top of the list". When we got back on the boat there was electricity in the air and my friend excitedly says "he came soooo close to you, why didn't you touch him". There were a lot of thoughts going through my brain as that shark swam by but I can guarantee "stick your hand out" was not on the list.

Encounters like this remind me that I'm just a visitor in their world and the only reason to have a "pig sticker" with me would be to kill myself. :D

A stingray off Redang Island, Malaysia. It was at least 12 feet across (wingspan), with a section of rope looped through its gill slits. Unfortunately, it didn't wait long enough for us to untie the knot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom