What's the future of scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the next 5-10 years, computers will be mandatory equipment and dive tables will be emphasized less. Interconnected dive computers will allow a dive master to read everyone in the group's data. This may already be possible, but the only ones I've seen only allow the DM to read everyone's air pressure.

I think it is reasonably likely that in the next 50-100 years small rebreathers will be used for recreational diving combined with real time blood gas measurement. I can foresee something the size of a spare air that would give an hour or two of bottom time. It is also possible that we will at some point be able to pull oxygen directly from the water. Also, people are lazy, so I think underwater scooters and/or other types of propulsion devices will become more common.

It may also be possible that the BCD would integrate more functions such as a propulsion system. It may be computer integrated to aid in buoyancy control. They may further be set to actively limit a diver's depth; for example filling up to prevent new divers from exceeding certain depths.

As you read this thread many changes are underway. Right now I'm involved in a research prodject to prove what I have know for a long time. You don't have to get in shape as much to dive as diving will get you in shape to dive or do anything else. I conducted a study of new and old older divers cleaning windows at weeki wachee. The divers that used nitrox and dove at least once a week felt better and stayed healther than the ones that dove once a month. The divers that dove two to three times a week were getting a new lease on life. Nitrox 32-36% no deeper than 25' for 35-45 min plus the underwater workout of cleaning the windows. what a concept. Go diving and get healthy. Mabey when I'm old medicare will cover it and it will be percribed by your Dr.

In the future, we could be getting air directly from the water via artificial gills.

In the future, we could be getting air directly from the water via artificial gills.

I hope that you are right, but I am very skeptical of this. Some reasons for my reservations - we are very different from fish:

1. Our metabolic needs for oxygen are far greater than those of fish. Couple this with the need to metabolize so as to maintain body temperature and your system will be very heavily tasked. I am sure that it will work for an installation (where unit size is not an issue and power can be piped directly from the surface). I just can't see it being man-portable in a meaningful configuration;
2. The volume requirements of your equipment approach that of a rebreather, but your battery life will likely give the system far less endurance underwater than a rebreather, and far more weight than a rebreather; and
3. Fish do not need significantly more air at depth, but we do (so as to fill our lungs). Again, unless your "gills" are coupled with a CCR I can't see it having a meaningful impact on diving, save for perhaps at snuba depths.

I hope that I am wrong.

I'm not optimistic about any great advance in scuba gear. The main problem is the great weight of the tank and weights, and I just don't see a way around it. The rebreather is too complicated and expensive to come into wide use.

I see small improvements in dive computers, and perhaps a breakthrough in underwater communications and location. Heads up mask displays are also too expensive. The regulator is already nearly optimized.

I think in the future lead weights will be sealed to prevent leaching, or another heavy material may be used.

Adam

I agree with what someone said in regard to a sort of "smart" BCD, one that controls buoyancy, one that propels you...and maybe a few other things

Advances in the next 100 years ..

- masks that do not fog at all, ever !

- wetsuits with a built in heating circuit with adjustable thermostat !

- greater compression of air to massively reduce the size and weight of air cylinders, or even do away with air cylinders ! Ddidn't I see a movie once where air supply was simply taken in pill form !

- totally waterproof cameras that don't need housings !

- masks akin to night vision cameras to allow diving in near zero visibility conditions.

- automatic buoyancy control devices that ensure safety stops !

umm ...

We have seen many changes in scuba diving over the last 50 yerars already.
It went from an extension of skin diving where the only added piece of equipment was a tank on a harness and an aqualung, a simple watch, and a simple depth gauge. All the rest of the equipment like suit, fins, weights, etc. remained the same. As time went on through the decades gear became more and more specific.
Now we have fins for general scuba diving, fins for freediving, fins that work better for tech diving with heavy doubles, etc.
We have several styles of BCD's now.
There are many choices in exposure protection.

Diving styles or "camps" have fragmented and compartmentalized.
Now we have:
1. Standard recreational diving - This is where it starts for virtually everyone getting into diving.
2. Standard diving - proffesional level - DM's and instructors.
3. Technical diving - standard
4. Technical diving - DIR/GUE
5. Vintage - Vintage gear and technique oficionados
6. Minimalist - use of modern gear except for the choice to use as little as is practically needed.
7. Freediving (skindiving) Not much to change here except for much better gear.

The future:
Who the hell knows?
If it keeps going the way it is the industry as we know it will be washed up in 10 to 15 years.
Right now the local dive shops are grappling with issues if internet retailers destroying them. As one of the very last retail segments enjoying a 100% markup on goods this in inevitable. However most LDS's claim that unless they can get 100% markup they will not survive. If that's the case they are doomed either way, it's just a matter of time. This will put classes out of personal contact with instructors for the general population, as will getting air fills become an issue and other needed small services. This will remove diving from the sight of the general population and therefore will damage the industry by choking down the amount of new divers getting in. E-retailers can't be blamed. the opportunity is was there and they took it. I sell stuff through an e-retailer simply because they were eager to take on my product because of the innovative and foreward thinking nature of it, where as no LDS was willing to give me the time of day.

The gear:
I don't see a lot of change in gear for the next 10 years. There might be some advances in lighting and computer electronics, but they will be frivolous changes and probably expensive. Diving is a very expensive sport that attracts the cheapest SOB's in the world. There is a limit to what most people will spend and that is a limiting factor in super high tech progression. Regs have pretty much been perfected for general open curcuit diving, BC systems are pretty much there except for slight improvements in style and concept.

I think the diving world is an ever changing and revolving industry. Dive shops will come and go, popularity will wax and wane. We'll just have to see.

Freediving will always remain strong in it's specific niche. Freediving continues to grow. It's also not supported much by standard dive shops.
I hope I can say the same for vintage diving and minimalism. These are also not supported at all by the standard dive shop and continue to grow. These are mostly all internet powered as is DIR and other specialty diving.

I know I'll do my part to try and change things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diving is a very expensive sport that attracts the cheapest SOB's in the world.

That is great! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom