Question First Post: Looking to upgrade entire kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafael Moreira

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Friends!!! First post here!

When I started scuba diving I decided (10 years ago) to buy everything.. so my criteria was search and filter for the cheapest option.. combination of lack of knowledge and short budget.. Now it's UPGRADE time... Big boss (Wife) approved the budget and I'm looking for your AMAZING advice.
I'm looking for basically Regulator, BCD and Dive computer, I did some research on the posts in this forum and here is what I'm leaning to:

Background: Didn't have a chance to dive much in the past years, I have only 52 dives. Going forward I will be able to do around 30 to 50 dives per year (not much as I want but It is what it is) mostly on warm water, looking for a kit that I can grow with it, I'm Advanced certified with a couple of other training. I'm also planning to get my divemaster in the next 3 years as I progress.

Dive computer: Perdix 2 AI as primary and continue with my old 10 years old puck pro as backup (it's old but still works)
Regulator: Scubapro MK25 looks to be a good choice based on my research, What do you think?
BCD (Here's the problem): So many different options that I need to be honest I'm kind of lost. I know some of you were in the same boat... The only decision I made is that I want a wing BCD. Looking for an option that I know could be an overkill for recreational dive but would be a good entrance option for tech if I decide in the future to follow this path. Based on all my research I'm down to these 3 options:

DiveRite transpac with Voyager wings, I realized in my past travels that most of the divemasters (that normally do 4 dives a day) were using Dive Rite... This means something..
XDeep Ghost, liked the design and looks very well built a lot of good reviews as well
Halcyon Infinity (Couldn't find anyone unhappy with their equipment so I decided to consider the H), if price was not a problem would you consider as well?

Sorry for the English (not my first language) and I really do appreciate any feedback...

Thank you!

Hello Friends!!! First post here!

When I started scuba diving I decided (10 years ago) to buy everything.. so my criteria was search and filter for the cheapest option.. combination of lack of knowledge and short budget.. Now it's UPGRADE time... Big boss (Wife) approved the budget and I'm looking for your AMAZING advice.
I'm looking for basically Regulator, BCD and Dive computer, I did some research on the posts in this forum and here is what I'm leaning to:

Background: Didn't have a chance to dive much in the past years, I have only 52 dives. Going forward I will be able to do around 30 to 50 dives per year (not much as I want but It is what it is) mostly on warm water, looking for a kit that I can grow with it, I'm Advanced certified with a couple of other training. I'm also planning to get my divemaster in the next 3 years as I progress.

Dive computer: Perdix 2 AI as primary and continue with my old 10 years old puck pro as backup (it's old but still works)
Regulator: Scubapro MK25 looks to be a good choice based on my research, What do you think?
BCD (Here's the problem): So many different options that I need to be honest I'm kind of lost. I know some of you were in the same boat... The only decision I made is that I want a wing BCD. Looking for an option that I know could be an overkill for recreational dive but would be a good entrance option for tech if I decide in the future to follow this path. Based on all my research I'm down to these 3 options:

DiveRite transpac with Voyager wings, I realized in my past travels that most of the divemasters (that normally do 4 dives a day) were using Dive Rite... This means something..
XDeep Ghost, liked the design and looks very well built a lot of good reviews as well
Halcyon Infinity (Couldn't find anyone unhappy with their equipment so I decided to consider the H), if price was not a problem would you consider as well?

Sorry for the English (not my first language) and I really do appreciate any feedback...

Thank you!
Congrats on getting back into diving! Perdix 2 is the best computer you can buy. MK25 is a great regulator choice. I prefer a backplate and wing, Diverite makes great gear so you can’t go wrong with them. I personally bought the Dive Gear Express package, very affordable and good quality. Also why divemaster? Do you plan on working as one?

Welcome to the nut house!

What do you actually have now? You mention the Puck Pro but that's it.

Computer- Perdix 2 AI is certainly top of the line, though I would argue selling your Puck is probably wise while it still holds some value. It is not a terribly viable backup IMO and since it is running an entirely different algorithm to the Shearwater you will have potential issues if you do something like a liveaboard. If you are a fitness watch guy you can always look at something like the Garmin which can do double duty as fitness watch/backup computer. The new Apple Watch does the same and may be a viable travel backup computer as well.

Regulator-the MK25 is a top of the line regulator though you don't state which second stage you intend to use with it. The MK25 is just the first stage. I do not like unsealed piston regulators for first stages personally because they require extra diligence when diving in the salty stuff to make sure that the exposed piston does not get any salt dried into it and potentially cause damage to it. I personally prefer sealed diaphragms but the biggest thing here is if you intend to be an active Divemaster then you will likely be required to use certain brands of gear and you should give consideration to the gear/brands that you will likely be required to use as a Divemaster.

BCD-I wouldn't consider the Transpac if you have tech aspirations, but note the Divemaster conundrum above as that may steer you into a brand.

Congrats on getting back into diving! Perdix 2 is the best computer you can buy. MK25 is a great regulator choice. I prefer a backplate and wing, Diverite makes great gear so you can’t go wrong with them. I personally bought the Dive Gear Express package, very affordable and good quality. Also why divemaster? Do you plan on working as one?
Thank you very much for the information. mosthly will be on warm water, not big fan to dive on cold. The Divemaster/Instructor thing is part of my retirement plan. I do not plan to make it as a primary income but just a thing to focus as I retire in the future (15 years).. So a lot of things can change.. but most important.. we must have a plan :)

Welcome to the nut house!

What do you actually have now? You mention the Puck Pro but that's it.

Computer- Perdix 2 AI is certainly top of the line, though I would argue selling your Puck is probably wise while it still holds some value. It is not a terribly viable backup IMO and since it is running an entirely different algorithm to the Shearwater you will have potential issues if you do something like a liveaboard. If you are a fitness watch guy you can always look at something like the Garmin which can do double duty as fitness watch/backup computer. The new Apple Watch does the same and may be a viable travel backup computer as well.

Regulator-the MK25 is a top of the line regulator though you don't state which second stage you intend to use with it. The MK25 is just the first stage. I do not like unsealed piston regulators for first stages personally because they require extra diligence when diving in the salty stuff to make sure that the exposed piston does not get any salt dried into it and potentially cause damage to it. I personally prefer sealed diaphragms but the biggest thing here is if you intend to be an active Divemaster then you will likely be required to use certain brands of gear and you should give consideration to the gear/brands that you will likely be required to use as a Divemaster.

BCD-I wouldn't consider the Transpac if you have tech aspirations, but note the Divemaster conundrum above as that may steer you into a brand.
Thank you! Here is what I 'm using today:
Regulator: Mares Mr22 Abyss and Prestige as second stage
BCD: Cressi Travelight
Computer Puck Pro, I'm an apple guy :) , looking for the ultra but not the first version, hope they will launch AI in the next version.

Regarding BCD if not the Transpac, do you think the XDeep or Halcyon would be good options so I can stick with them for a while? Or there's other brands I should consider

Really appreciate your time to help me.

Hello Rafael. Welcome to SB. How wonderful that La Jefa has approved your expenditures. Let us help you spend your money! Put on your Internet Kevlar. It can get rough around here. :wink:

I recently resumed diving after 26 years topside. (What was I thinking?) My 1990s US Divers BCD and reg set with first-generation console computer is obsolete, so I too resolved to upgrade. Have just now retired.

My initial choices for shore diving in Maui over the summer:

Scubapro Level BCD, 2022 model with trim weight pockets - Scuba Magazine Testers' Choice
Scubapro Mk21/S560/R095/U-Line console - downsized version of the excellent Mk25/S600
Shearwater Peregrine
Scubapro Go Travel fins with neoprene 2 mm socks

Worked out well. But as you will see, SB is a hotbed of backplate/wing advocacy, and pretty persuasive, so for upcoming boat diving trip in Cozumel I made the following adjustments:

Sub-Gravity Paragon single tank BP/W system with adjustable harness, aluminum BP and 30 pound wing
Deep 6 Excursion reg set for backup - not really justified, but pricing was compelling
Deep 6 Eddy fins (watch the sizing - it's surprising) with neoprene 3 mm booties

Can't wait to try out the new gear. The SG rig is extremely well made (in Utah) and fully modular. No need for an STA, as supports are built into the wing. I think I will keep the SP Level jacket BCD for shore diving; it's a good one. My next computer will be a Perdix 2 AI, with the Peregrine moving to backup (someday). Agree with the logic that piston regs (such as SP Mk21, Mk25) may not be as optimal as a sealed diaphragm first stage for ocean diving, especially shore diving. If weight is not an issue, the SP G260 second stage gets a lot of love here.

I also considered HOG, DGX, and XDeep for BP/W. HOG is a good deal. DGX is an even better deal, though a little too DIR for me. The Ghost looks cool, but it is a single layer wing and not modular at all. Halcyon is lovely but $$$. Deep 6 is currently out of stock on their BP/W, but it looks awesome.

Here are a couple of rabbit holes for you to explore:

DRIS was helpful in choosing and getting things ordered. Consider used gear in the SB Classifieds.

Happy diving!

Hello Rafael. Welcome to SB. How wonderful that La Jefa has approved your expenditures. Let us help you spend your money! Put on your Internet Kevlar. It can get rough around here. :wink:

I recently resumed diving after 26 years topside. (What was I thinking?) My 1990s US Divers BCD and reg set with first-generation console computer is obsolete, so I too resolved to upgrade. Have just now retired.

My initial choices for shore diving in Maui over the summer:

Scubapro Level BCD, 2022 model with trim weight pockets - Scuba Magazine Testers' Choice
Scubapro Mk21/S560/R095/U-Line console - downsized version of the excellent Mk25/S600
Shearwater Peregrine
Scubapro Go Travel fins with neoprene 2 mm socks

Worked out well. But as you will see, SB is a hotbed of backplate/wing advocacy, and pretty persuasive, so for upcoming boat diving trip in Cozumel I made the following adjustments:

Sub-Gravity Paragon single tank BP/W system with adjustable harness, aluminum BP and 30 pound wing
Deep 6 Excursion reg set for backup - not really justified, but pricing was compelling
Deep 6 Eddy fins (watch the sizing - it's surprising) with neoprene 3 mm booties

Can't wait to try out the new gear. The SG rig is extremely well made (in Utah) and fully modular. No need for an STA, as supports are built into the wing. I think I will keep the SP Level jacket BCD for shore diving; it's a good one. My next computer will be a Perdix 2 AI, with the Peregrine moving to backup (someday). Agree with the logic that piston regs (such as SP Mk21, Mk25) may not be as optimal as a sealed diaphragm first stage for ocean diving, especially shore diving. If weight is not an issue, the SP G260 second stage gets a lot of love here.

I also considered HOG, DGX, and XDeep for BP/W. HOG is a good deal. DGX is an even better deal, though a little too DIR for me. The Ghost looks cool, but it is a single layer wing and not modular at all. Halcyon is lovely but $$$. Deep 6 is currently out of stock on their BP/W, but it looks awesome.

Here are a couple of rabbit holes for you to explore:

DRIS was helpful in choosing and getting things ordered. Consider used gear in the SB Classifieds.

Happy diving!
Amazing!! thank you for your time sharing the information!
I was in Cozumel two weeks ago... stayed at ScubaClub and loved... planning to go back next year!

Enjoy your dives!!!

Thank you! Here is what I 'm using today:
Regulator: Mares Mr22 Abyss and Prestige as second stage
BCD: Cressi Travelight
Computer Puck Pro, I'm an apple guy :) , looking for the ultra but not the first version, hope they will launch AI in the next version.

Regarding BCD if not the Transpac, do you think the XDeep or Halcyon would be good options so I can stick with them for a while? Or there's other brands I should consider

Really appreciate your time to help me.

Reg-I'm not entirely sure that you are in need of an upgrade at this point. These is not going to be an appreciable upgrade in performance if even one at all. Those are top end regulators and while they don't make my personal short list, it has nothing to do with their performance. I truly believe that spending any money on upgrading your regulators is just going to be a waste. If at some point you decide to go the tech route with sidemount or twinset/doubles then you may want to look at a different set, but for now your money is better spent going and diving than changing your regulators.

BCD-you will certainly have a meaningful change going from the Travelight. I don't have any personal love for xDeep, I am a textile engineer and haven't been impressed with their QC or materials choices. They are the sexy kid on the block, but not where I would personally go. Halcyon and Dive Rite are both small companies based in the USA with their products made in the USA with incredible local support should anything go sideways. For single tank diving though I don't necessarily love their products. Dive Rite uses a specific pattern for their wings to allow compatibility with the Transpac and the Halcyon Infinity doesn't include slots for the cam bands or roll control so for both of those you really need a single tank adapter for stability. This is one of those that we really need to have an understanding of the specific diving you are currently doing, location/tank choice/fly vs drive etc. to make any real recommendation. The divemaster thing is still worth thinking about from the brands that the shop you intend to do that training/work with. Most of these rigs are all fundamentally the same and they'll all work perfectly fine so any brand loyalty is easily swayed by any shop affiliation. Tons of people can recommend what they personally dive and sure it probably works well but it may not be the best option for you.
One of the best buys out there is from @DiveGearExpress and for $424 right now it's hard to beat. Stainless plate, basic harness, good wing, not a lot of room for argument.
They also have the Dive Rite Travel rig here which is $611 as I would configure it. I'm not entirely sure it's worth 50% more, but it's definitely the absolute most I would spend on any particular BCD, anything more than that is IMO a waste of money. The skeletonized SS plate looks cool and saves a bit of weight, and the Travel XT wing is armored and is pretty much indestructible. Make sure to add the 2" padded crotch strap as that is by far the most important piece of the harness.

Computer-Stick with the Perdix and if you end up with an Ultra then try the app, several of my friends did some serious beta testing with it and it works fine. It is unlikely AI will come out on that as it would require a serious increase in size of the unit to accommodate the radios and there is no surface application for it so it is unlikely they would bother with that.

Reg-I'm not entirely sure that you are in need of an upgrade at this point. These is not going to be an appreciable upgrade in performance if even one at all. Those are top end regulators and while they don't make my personal short list, it has nothing to do with their performance. I truly believe that spending any money on upgrading your regulators is just going to be a waste. If at some point you decide to go the tech route with sidemount or twinset/doubles then you may want to look at a different set, but for now your money is better spent going and diving than changing your regulators.

BCD-you will certainly have a meaningful change going from the Travelight. I don't have any personal love for xDeep, I am a textile engineer and haven't been impressed with their QC or materials choices. They are the sexy kid on the block, but not where I would personally go. Halcyon and Dive Rite are both small companies based in the USA with their products made in the USA with incredible local support should anything go sideways. For single tank diving though I don't necessarily love their products. Dive Rite uses a specific pattern for their wings to allow compatibility with the Transpac and the Halcyon Infinity doesn't include slots for the cam bands or roll control so for both of those you really need a single tank adapter for stability. This is one of those that we really need to have an understanding of the specific diving you are currently doing, location/tank choice/fly vs drive etc. to make any real recommendation. The divemaster thing is still worth thinking about from the brands that the shop you intend to do that training/work with. Most of these rigs are all fundamentally the same and they'll all work perfectly fine so any brand loyalty is easily swayed by any shop affiliation. Tons of people can recommend what they personally dive and sure it probably works well but it may not be the best option for you.
One of the best buys out there is from @DiveGearExpress and for $424 right now it's hard to beat. Stainless plate, basic harness, good wing, not a lot of room for argument.
They also have the Dive Rite Travel rig here which is $611 as I would configure it. I'm not entirely sure it's worth 50% more, but it's definitely the absolute most I would spend on any particular BCD, anything more than that is IMO a waste of money. The skeletonized SS plate looks cool and saves a bit of weight, and the Travel XT wing is armored and is pretty much indestructible. Make sure to add the 2" padded crotch strap as that is by far the most important piece of the harness.

Computer-Stick with the Perdix and if you end up with an Ultra then try the app, several of my friends did some serious beta testing with it and it works fine. It is unlikely AI will come out on that as it would require a serious increase in size of the unit to accommodate the radios and there is no surface application for it so it is unlikely they would bother with that.
The quality of information we get here is just unbelievable! Thank so much for the details. Will definitely take a look on those options! Glad that I can save some money on the reg.

There’s not necessarily anything wrong with 10yo gear. It seems like you might have specific reasons down the road that would determine some choices. If you might go tech that is one thing. If you might do dm or instructor, and possibly be in a situation where you have to go with a certain brand or style (but maybe get deals on it) that’s something else. If your current gear works and you don’t know the answers to those questions at this point, perhaps wait until you do. (Or maybe buy the shiny new computer to fill the new toy urge. :wink:

Just remember that most expensive is not necessarily best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom