Whats The Most Important Piece of Equipment You Have

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreckie:
> FYI, in NAUI the snorkel debate has been raging unabated for 40 years.

When i was working with a naui shop in the sates on a DM crossover is seemed the only reason to have a snorkel was to get the first ow dive done fast and cheep.

>and yes, I strongly believe that your most important piece of gear is the snorkel. It never runs out of air. You never know when your life may depend on it.

Never runs out of air? It does if your head is more than about 3 inches under water. I find it very difficult to think of a single accasion where some poor diver has been killed due to the failure of his plastic tube, or one where the tube has saved a life.

The arguments for the tube usualy run along the lines of: It saves air on surface swims to the site = swim on your back, its easier and you have better situational awairness....
But then i cant see the fishes im swimming over = if its that interesting go down there and look.....
Surface swim on the way back = swim on your back, or breath from the large metal thing on your back, thats what its there for....
but i may run out of air = how far are you planning to swim? you should have 50bar/500psi left anyway (depending where you live and no they arnt the same) and this'll last a fair old time on the surface.

Yes there are reasons to have/use/carry a snorkel, but i remain unconvinced and you wont find one in my bag.

>So as far as numbers goes, with 20 to 25% of all divers being NAUI (my guess only)

25%? sorry but thats pie in the sky even for a guess, in the US this may be true but as for the rest of the world? I know of one naui shop in the UK (there may be more) and since getting my dm in the states i have not yet come accross a naui diver in the uk. Even if you split the numbers evenly between the 6 or so training agencies i can think of (and lets be honest padi probably has over half all to itself) It doesnt come to 25%

Have i gone off topic, sorry..... most important bit of kit? Get a dive computer, makes life easier:wink:

Mike

There is a strong argument for getting your dive computer as soon as possible, even before your suit, before your reg, and before your B/C.

But then, like everything else, there are counter-arguments by those who truly believe that a dive computer is a major liability.

Nothing is written in stone. :)

Speaking of stone, and of the UK, I have friends who are heading over there soon for a vacation (in February of all times!). They are just dying to see Stonehenge! As well as the British museum(s).

I have been to the UK about a dozen times on business, and never once have I gotten to see Stonehenge! :(

Chien:
Next to your regulator and Buoyancy Vest, What is the most important piece of equipment you have? I am looking to buy my equipment very soon and am looking for suggestions

#1 - Brain
#2 - Rebreater (CCR)
#3 - fins
#4 - Drysuit
#5 - Pee Valve for Drysuit
#6 - Pee Valve (Its real important!, have to Say it Twice!)
#7 - Good Wetsuit for warm water

Mask and wetsiut. If you have water up your nose, or if your cold, it takes some of the fun out of it.

Wreckie:
>Never runs out of air? It does if your head is more than about 3 inches under water. I find it very difficult to think of a single accasion where some poor diver has been killed due to the failure of his plastic tube, or one where the tube has saved a life.

The arguments for the tube usualy run along the lines of: It saves air on surface swims to the site = swim on your back, its easier and you have better situational awairness....
But then i cant see the fishes im swimming over = if its that interesting go down there and look.....
Surface swim on the way back = swim on your back, or breath from the large metal thing on your back, thats what its there for....
but i may run out of air = how far are you planning to swim? you should have 50bar/500psi left anyway (depending where you live and no they arnt the same) and this'll last a fair old time on the surface.

Yes there are reasons to have/use/carry a snorkel, but i remain unconvinced and you wont find one in my bag.

I agree with most of this, but to add my two bits: the only reason I intend to purchase a snorkel is if I want to go snorkelling. I have the rest of the gear (mask, fins) so why not complete the set... just in case the day (or the dollars) aren't good for a dive, I can still hang out half underwater! :)

A snorkel can come in really handy if you're in a back-zip drysuit, have to pee really bad, and can't find anyone to unzip you right away.

Of course, that only works if you've got one of those cheap, simple snorkels that doesn't come with a corrugated hose ...

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I dont think it made anyone's top pick, but I really have to say my hard-soled boots are one of my most depended on pieces of gear. Not being anywhere near an ocean, we do lots of quarry diving. I had to hike through a fairly large quarry and down the road one time with a buddy on all this aggregate rock material in my diveboots. I had my hard soles and he didnt, you wouldnt believe the difference between our feet. I dont think he could walk the next day at all. Since then I havent taken good foot protection for granted. It may not be the most popular choice, but after seeing the pain my buddy was in, it shot to the top of my list of necessary gear.

Dry Suit in the north. Back inflation BC in the tropics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom