What's the What's - What in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey all! I have a sad update about MY diving in Roatan.
Was running just a second behind and United in Seattle (even First class!) refused to check my bag with all my scuba gear. I made the flight with minimal stuff, but was really disappointed in their willingness to help me. I guess my fault, but if the lady hadnt talked to me i wouldnt have missed the infallible deadline. Hehe You know that when you feel like you got more consideration from TSA that something is wrong here... :wink:

That said, we decided to go with West End Divers in West End BECAUSE THEY OFFER FREE GEAR RENTAL if you do 10 plus dives with them, and we are scaling back the dive plan a little bit to more like 2/day vs the 4 anticipated. These guys are great! As a master diver, I was able to sign up and get on a boat immediately...dropping straight down 110' to the Aguila wreck to be met by a 7' Morey Eel.

The reality of it is that I can't even get a charging cord for my Sola light on the island (it was left in my other bag). There's only a Mares store on the island, and they really only sell mask/snorkel/fins/BC plus some exposure gear. There's not a market for selling/renting gear to tourists, so the industry just doesn't exist! So don't plan on being able to get anything gear wise unless you're renting it from your operator.

Looking forward to another great week and a half of diving, and will report further when I can. Thanks again to all for all your help and advice!

Can't believe you passed up on the shore diving with Kelly.

Hi Kelly - We'll be on RTB 8/23 - 8/31 - is that $20/pp or $20 per guided trip? And.... do you do UV night or regular dives?
Thanks, you can PM me and I'll keep an eye out.

Diving the Mr Bud

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom