What's the word on Cozumel spots? Blue Angel Resort? Scuba Club Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm sitting on my balcony right now at the Blue Angel, editing video and enjoying a post dive beverage... if you have anything specific you want to know - I'll find out for you while i'm here. And just to throw it out there, the Palancar caves is simply an amazing dive[FONT=arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]

Yes Sidne every room at BA has an ocean-view but they also have the back of every room facing on the street which gets quite noisy. I prefer SCC (as my signature shows). We always ask and have received a room with a view and I like the idea of having the food paid for. On our next trip in November we may go for the light meal plan and try dinners with friends off site. But for the previous 4 trips we could eat without having to get out our wallet and worry about the total getting larger as the week progressed.

To each his own though. You will find here avid followers for both BA & SCC. Try one; then the other and then you can decide for yourself.

Betty

Well, I'm sitting on my balcony right now at the Blue Angel, if you have anything specific you want to know - I'll find out for you while i'm here.
How's the water pressure up on the fourth floor. I experienced very low pressure and no hot water while there.

I can only comment on Scuba Club, as it is the only place where I have stayed. I have been there twice, and am headed back in March.

I found the resort to be very clean and well kept. The staff are all very polite, courteous, and friendly. The boats are well kept. The divemasters are great, and very safety oriented. The diving speaks for itself. I have nothing but positives :acclaim: to say.

As another poster stated, there are no phones or televisions in the rooms. To me, that is a plus. When I go to SCC, I go to get away from everything. The beds are hard, but at the end of a long day of diving, I don't really notice.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Divegoose

I found the resort to be very clean and well kept. The staff are all very polite, courteous, and friendly. The boats are well kept. The divemasters are great, and very safety oriented. The diving speaks for itself. I have nothing but positives :acclaim: to say.
Divegoose
Ditto for Blue Angel as well.
I actually don't mind a phone in the room. there were a few days when the dive shop called and asked if I wanted to dive because they were going to Baracuda/san Juan or I overslept and got a "wake up call".
And since I rarely watch TV at home, when on vacation I don't mind watching the history channel late at night if I'm to tired to go out.

Yes Sidne every room at BA has an ocean-view but they also have the back of every room facing on the street which gets quite noisy. I prefer SCC (as my signature shows). We always ask and have received a room with a view and I like the idea of having the food paid for. On our next trip in November we may go for the light meal plan and try dinners with friends off site. But for the previous 4 trips we could eat without having to get out our wallet and worry about the total getting larger as the week progressed.

To each his own though. You will find here avid followers for both BA & SCC. Try one; then the other and then you can decide for yourself.

Betty

For me, the biggest drawback to BA is the noise from the street in the rooms. We used a white noise machine and kept the bathroom door closed and that helped a lot. If you are a very light sleeper, though, you might be better off at SCC.

I like not having all the meals included because a big part of the fun for me is trying a bunch of new restaurants. But if someone wants to know all the costs (or as much as possible) upfront, a place where meals are included such as SCC might please.

Excellent points. Thanks, all. Sounds like something to be said for either place. It'll probably come down to economics, but we'll see.

We have stayed at BA the two times we have gone. I agree with what others have said, cant add or take away from it, however the street noise can be overcome by requesting AND recieving a ground floor room. For the wife and myself the street noise was bad but the worse part was the screaching birds EARLY in the a.m. I would like to try SCC just to compare.

Blue Angel has been our home away from home for several years. It's one of the few remaining small hotel/dive ops resorts that sit right on the water. It has all the stuff the larger resorts have, just in a more, quaint and friendly setting...like a lot of places on the island, especially the smaller one's, you become part of the family pretty quick.

Just about exactly one mile South of town, we and many guests often walk to town. It has only 22 rooms, is 4 stories. All rooms are large, with safes, a/c, mini-fridges and large balconies...all facing the ocean.

The dive op is great, attentive DM's and captains, all the boats have had new, more powerful and fuel efficient motors in the past 2-3 years. 6-packs as well as large boats if you prefer. Morning, afternoon, twilight and night dives all available.

The restaurant over the dive shop has very good food and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner...I think breakfast is included with your stay, or at least on scheduled dive days...not exactly sure what the current rules are.

No beach, per say, on the property it's self, but there is a nice, small pool that never seems to be very busy. And the long stretch of Villablanca beach is right next door if you absoulutly have to have sand in your trunks. ;-)

Some of the best shore diving on the island is right out in front of the hotel, the sting ray enclosure next door has been a blessing in disguise, at first much hated, but it has turned out to be a great magnet for many critters and a wonderful day and night shore dive.

Street noise has NEVER been an issue with us, although that sort of thing doesn't bother us anyway. And as far as the birds "screeching" in the morning...like the sound of the scuba tanks clanking as they are being delivered and the ocean lapping on the shore outside, that is just a sign that I am "home" and it's time to get up and get wet!!

If economics is an issue, you might consider Casa del Mar. They have some good packages, and you can add in a meal pack. Cozumel offers lots of options. I have stayed at Iberostar, Allegro, Occidental, and Aura as other options to Scuba Club and Blue Angel. The all-inclusives at Occidental and Allegro include alcoholic beverages which is a selling point to some folks. Some of the resorts have good onsite dive ops but you also have the option of booking with the op of your choice. During our recent stay at the Aura I dove with Aldora, one of my favorites. Last November we dove with Palancar Divers at the Occidental and I have always like those folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom