What's typical buoyancy in just swim wear with no equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floating with head above surface and floating with full body, head included just below surface are both floating. I agree with RPJ here, most people I met can float with full boby submerge and full breath. I really doubt anyone can sink like store with full breath. After all, human is 70+% water. Lung volumn is entire air space.

With your definition of floating, I agree. Even I won't sink much below the surface with a full breath, so I would THINK there would be no exceptions (some have said they still sink). I'm not going to google floating's definition, but I would call complete body below the surface being "in the water column" instead. Well, you knew I had to look it up: Floating: being buoyed up on water or other liquid. You know Captain Obvious?---I am Captain Semantics. Now I have to change my username.

Last edited:
Some are more buoyant than others. When I tested diopters on my UW camera in the pool, I was wearing just my swim trunks and had weighted myself with 4#. Even then, I had to EXhale to be able to sink and stay down without bobbing to the surface. I know others who are about as buoyant as a crescent wrench with the same attire...

OK, I have a little too much bioprene. But I'm still a bit away from obese, judging from my BMI.

I can no longer run, easily, due to my titanium inserts in my left leg and hip. With a full normal breath, at the surface, I will sink in FW. If I uncomfortably over inflate my lungs, packing, I float with the hair on my head brushing the surface.

So a) if during the usual weight test you float with your eyes 6" (let's say) below the surface, how many pounds overweighted would you say you are, and b) how many pounds are the inserts?

Same thing, imo it's just another one of those "I'm unique" fashion that seems to be very present these days...

Really?? That's your contribution? Yeah, its just freakin' marvelous to have to work to accomplish the same thing many people can do without effort. Although I don't think its as "unique" as you seem to think.

So a) if during the usual weight test you float with your eyes 6" (let's say) below the surface,

If your eyes are 6" below the surface you aren't floating. Not unless...

4.327132401_large.jpg

If your eyes are 6" below the surface you aren't floating.

He said hair touching the surface. I was allowing for hair. That's my excuse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom