What's wrong with my Atomic B1??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BPaith

Registered
Reaction score
I bought this off my dad for $80. He's had it regularly serviced. I got home, put a little water on the thing just to kind of spruce it up, I barely pressed the purge valve and the darn thing just cracked all to heck! Even the color/decal or whatever it is that says "atomic" just started falling off....I am so sad. :depressed:

How do I fix it?

reg_zps30359dba.jpg

The front cover (flexible purge button) is usually pretty robust, but yours has clearly suffered. The cover ring around it unscrews and the cover is easily replaced. The concern is whether that is the only damage. I suggest you have it serviced.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2013 at 06:20 PM ----------

There are some Atomic dealers near you:
phpDealerLocator

Yeah... I'd just tell him you want your $80 back :shakehead:

The Atomics always do that, the only bad aspect to an otherwise great regulator. Here in the tropics I get a year or so out of the cover, and I own 5 of them. your dealer will sell you a new cover and install it.

Get it serviced :

Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service

and as part of it get an Atomic B2 color kit:

Atomic B2 Regulator Color Kit discounts on sale Atomic

That will swap out the purge cover and ring as well as a new and better exhaust, plus a few other items.

Now being a B1 when you get it serviced be prepared to have to spend another $70 and have the piston swapped out.

IF you do all of the above you will have basically upgraded your B1 into a B2.

Note I have highlighted ScubaToys as the have good pricing for service but there are other options including local dive shops. Also you can send your reg to Atomic and they will do the service as well as the upgrade.

I bought this off my dad for $80. He's had it regularly serviced. I got home, put a little water on the thing just to kind of spruce it up, I barely pressed the purge valve and the darn thing just cracked all to heck! Even the color/decal or whatever it is that says "atomic" just started falling off....I am so sad. :depressed:

How do I fix it?

reg_zps30359dba.jpg

Please refer to the link below and contact Atomic Aquatics directly for help:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...-service-atomic-aquatics-my-t2-regulatos.html

They have great customer service.

Looks like the plastic had too much sun damage and became brittle.
I had a frisbee do the same thing after 15years out on the backyard pool deck. Granted that plastic was thicker than your cover.

You should be able to replace the cover; assuming that's the only problem. But you may want to see what a service tech says about the rest of the regulator.

+1 for contacting Atomic direct for service.

You'll pay a little more for the service but they always come back functioning perfectly and looking like new. Often with what appear to be new exhaust port, purge, knob, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom