What's wrong with rockboots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Converse canvas sneakers work great and save a bundle. Gotta get 'em big enough. I've been diving rock boots/Converse for about four years now and love them. No problems. I can see the snagging potential with the laces, though. I usually tuck the laces in, but I like the duct tape idea a lot better. Anyway, I have many miles on mine and highly recommend the option.

How many sizes bigger than your shoe size did you have to go? Do you think the local footlocker would mind if you tried on shoes with your drysuit on?lol

This may sound a little strange but I use coily laces (we call them bungy laces) in our shoes. They really stretch to allow you to easily don your shoes quickly then they snap back to hold them on. I think they might work well on these rock boots - and they would'nt snag (no loops). If I had rock boots I'd give them a try and let you know but unfortunately I don't

O-R,

Man -- what happened to the Andy's vs. FifthD decision....;-)

Seriously, congrats on the purchase....jealousy abounds!

We know somebody that got us a deal that was about the same as the Andy's.

I've been diving my CF200 w/rockboots about three to four years. We've got some fairly harsh shore dives here so I love them but what a pain to put on! My buddy hit on the idea of cutting a slit up the bridge of the boot where it restricts and that helped a lot.

The best solution I've hit upon was retiring the DUI's and replacing them with Whites version. The Whites use a stretch material for the panels and have an excellent sole. http://www.whitescoldwater.com/prod...guage=English&product=254&category=dive&ret=1 .

There are still the entanglement issues as with the DUI boots (the link above shows the boots empty so the laces look much worse than when worn). With the whites I’ve been able to dive rockboots AND feel my toes. Not feeling like a chump when I pull a $125 pair of yard sale gym shoes out of a box is just a bonus.

I have built in boots that basicaly suck for beach diving. I have been considering getting them removed and buying some rockboots.

I would much rather deal with the slower process of donning the rockboots than having my weak built ins on my suit. I have no foot support in mine, i may as well be walking in flip flops ( seriously!) in fact i find them dangerous at times for serious beach diving.

good post i needed to here your comments on them thx

Andy

The rock boots that came with my dry suit are slightly different than the older model. The laces don't pass through normal eyelets, they lace through nylon loops between the outer flap and the tongue. Hard to describe. But it still uses a squeeze lock to cinch up the laces. They also have a velcro tab on the back to keep the laces around the ankle. They still look like an old pair of Converse Chuck Jones.

The White's boots look nicer and more form fitting. The ankle velcro is something the DUI rock boots really need. The rock boot laces stretch when wet, and the boot feels a little sloppy after a while.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom