Wheel Chair Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what a joke. I'd laugh if it wasn't so dangerous. We were able to figure out buoyancy and trim AFTER he received his C-Card, though.

He did go to Cayman Brac a few months ago with HSA, and plans to go on the Bonaire trip. We also had a great time at Anacapa, and a sorta great (tiring for me, dangerous for both of us) time at Catalina.

Go to www.eels.org and check it out. I volunteer with Eels on Wheels. Several hundred members here in Austin. PM me with your number and I will get you some info. We have our quarterly meeting this weekend. Great bunch of people. We even had one guy climb Mt Everest.....ok well the shirpas carried him. But what heart.

Good Times.

Buoyancy and trim were up most in my HSAI training...one of the most important factors...I now incorporate this into my able body classes. We do about a 30 min session with no fins...I teach them to maneuver just like a paraplegic or double amputee would have to....Results...amazing buoyancy control...students have fun...equate this to space walking

cudachaser once bubbled...

Deafness I consider the hardest to teach-with lip reading most people only "hear" 30% of what's been said.

Actually, through context...it's a bit more than that. I've been trained that only 30% of the sounds in the english language can be seen from the lips. But folks skilled in speechreading comprehend much more than 30% of what's being said.

Did the deaf folks you taught not sign? I would think that with sign language deaf divers would really almost have an advantage. And as far as training, as long as you had an interpreter in class...I would think it would go smoothly.

My .02

Peace,
Cathie

Cathie

In water commnication isn't a major concern for me...it's the class room...Am I positioning myself so they can see my lips all of the time? What 70% are they not understanding? Granted they have a good text book and a comprehensive test to pass...but I just don't have a warm tummy feeling. Also interpreters are not cheap

This has got me thinking about the problems a paralyzed diver woud have to overcome. I'm not sure how a person with paralyzed legs could get onto most boats from in the water unless the boat was equipped with a lifting device, like a crane.

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about how you would get on unconscious diver into your boat? If you haven't...

SeaRat

John C. Ratliff once bubbled...

Just out of curiosity, have you thought about how you would get on unconscious diver into your boat? If you haven't...

SeaRat

What would be the difference between an unconscious able bodied diver and a unconscious paraplegic?:D

From cudachaser once bubbled... "My training with HSAI was quite extensive. We had to be both student and teacher. They bound our legs to simulate para or quad or amputee. It's amazing how much propulsion you can get just using you arms efficiently. We were taught to work with, paraplegia, quadraplegia, amputee, blindness and deafness."

I'm "almost" finished my HSA course -- we're just waiting for the water not to be too hard to do the open water.

Cudachaser's right the training you receive on the instructing side is extensive, exhausting, but one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in a while.

John C. Ratliff once bubbled...

SeaRat

You make an excellent point there, John. I have never practiced getting an unconscious diver onto the boat, and I should. I am a little hesitant to ask anyone to play the part of the victim, because I have just imagined it as an operation with a lot of pushing from below combined with plenty of pulling from above. The victim is going to get bruised and contused in the process of getting on board. Everybody helping is going to end up very tired.

Emergencies are by nature ad hoc events, and, it is hoped, rare. In contrast, with a paralyzed diver, you know before you start that you are going to have to get the diver back in the boat without any assistance from the diver. In that case, I would like to have some easier way to do it than heaving and pulling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom