when a wreck becomes a gravesite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, hopefully as corpse recoveries occurring soon after the accident for divable wrecks a becomes more common, the "gravesite" issue can be laid to rest and wrecks will just be wrecks.

runvus4 once bubbled...
Well, hopefully as corpse recoveries occurring soon after the accident for divable wrecks a becomes more common, the "gravesite" issue can be laid to rest and wrecks will just be wrecks.

Agreed.

WW

As far as U-Boats I think we should extend Germany the same protection we expect from our sunken naval vessels. We are hypocrites if we don't.

Also, as far as I'm concerned more attention should be paid to classifying wrecks as protected historic sites. As a fairly new diver I look forward with great disappointment to exploring wrecks that have been raped of every removable object. This whole culture of retrieving trinkets for the show off factor is just lame and petty, not to mention dangerous since it sets up a dive culture that newer divers feel they have to retrieve some junk to fit in. Since all the junk that might be left is deeper inside the wreck ,...well you get the picture. Take a photograph if you need to show everyone you've been there.

sailnj once bubbled...
As far as U-Boats I think we should extend Germany the same protection we expect from our sunken naval vessels. We are hypocrites if we don't.

You mean our wonderful allies?

Personally I think that, since they're so supportive when we need them, we should consider dragging the U-boats up on the beach and letting the local dogs pick through them.

WW

I agree that you should respect the place, but if there are artifacts you want, go for it. My personal belief is that those people are in Heaven (hopefully for them) and what is left behind is only a shell, but that's just me. Here in Finland it is illegal to dive at a wreck that people have died in, that has not been released from care by the Finnish Government, so we don't have to go with how we feel, we just obey the law (mostly), however, I would never touch, move or in any way disturb human remains, unless I was doing a recovery dive or taking the remains topside for identification and transport back to their families, which is a common thing here in Scandinavia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom