When dives are cancelled due to windy conditions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure there are many different factors affecting the Cozumel Port Authority's decision to restrict boat travel during rough conditions. Out of curiosity, does anybody know if there is a certain number that the winds much reach before making the decision to cancel dives? I know I am jumping the gun here, but we will be arriving in Cozumel over the weekend and the forecast looks quite windy (with some days reaching over 17 mph). I am just curious as to what the threshold is when restrictions are in place.

I know it is a strange question. I just have no idea of what is interpreted as normal wind gusts versus one's which warrant caution. Thanks in advance for any input.

It is not so much the wind speed as its impact on water conditions. But, as a general principle, I can not think of many dive boats that I would go out on in 17 mph of wind. And, I would not be inclined to jump into the water from any of them.

It is more an issue of wind direction. A 20 kt wind from the east leaves the port open in Cozumel but closes the port in Playa Del Carmen on the mainland. But a 15 kt wind from the north can build up seas so that the port is closed in Cozumel, yet open in Playa. But even then there are variations, in that, sometimes the port is closed only to small boats...that is why we have one 40 footer.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks everybody for the helpful information. Unfortunately, the forecast calls for winds from the North for a few days starting Sunday. Oh well, it's better than what we have been dealing with lately.

It does in fact look like we're in for the first "norte" of the season according to Buoyweather. The good news is that also typically marks our "official" end of H season!

We'll see what happens and how strong it ends up being!

Thanks everybody for the helpful information. Unfortunately, the forecast calls for winds from the North for a few days starting Sunday. Oh well, it's better than what we have been dealing with lately.
The current expectation for Sunday & Monday is indeed looking like a rough day on the channel. You hope for better news by then but not much to change a north front. Cozumel, Mexico Forecast : Weather Underground is calling 20 mph north winds - a good day to dive Tulum cenotes perhaps, and hope the ferries run okay. Good luck.

It does in fact look like we're in for the first "norte" of the season according to Buoyweather. The good news is that also typically marks our "official" end of H season!

They're starting early again this year... I hope that norte season flies by as uneventful as this year's H season did! :cool2:

I've always lucked out and avoided being there when there's a Norte. How long do they usually last?

When we went to Grand Cayman last Jan/Feb, we had the misfortune of being hit by their equivalent of a Norte, but the dive shop was able to pick us up at a pier on the south end of the island. The only thing it really cost us was another really great shore dive off of Lighthouse wall on our last day.

Good Question 1KWIK_69. I too was wondering how long they tend to last. If they tend to last a while - I may need to do a liver cleanse before leaving next week (you know prepare for the 'under the awning' onslaught of tequila!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom