When Diving for lobster do you carry your gear or attach to your BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I go diving for Megalodon shark teeth I always debate on if I want to bring my tickle stick and bag because I see lobsters while I am down there. One time I decided to bring it down and it just happened to be the time I got into the Meg teeth really good. I had put my tickle stick under my arm as I was digging for the Meg teeth. I had it hooked to my belt but I got so distracted by the Meg teeth that by the time I had to get ready to return to the surface my tickle stick was nowhere to be found. It must have got caught on something.....o well I found enough teeth to sell them and buy a bunch more tickle sticks but I have yet to bring another one down with me on a Meg teeth dive.

Here are a couple of pics..
One loop over the valve ...attach reg... and I have my equipment line.

At the jump everything is attached to the big ring or the clip.

When I reach hunting depth I deploy my spear. the bag stays rolled up untill I get a fish or dozen. Lobster fit in there too, if I pay attention for them! The bag then hangs down when I am lucky or good! (read full of eats)
This is when it tends to snag the most. More of a nuisance than any prob!

See you topside! John line pic 1.jpgline pic 2.jpg

I used to strap my lobster snare to my calf, but it is a PITA (being much longer than my calf, I looked a bit like a mutated transformer, and if you use modified frog kick, it creates a surprising amount of drag) so I gave up in the end and now just carry it in hand.

I have heard of divers who strap all kinds of stuff to their tanks (including crowbars), so I am sure it is theoretically possible. But I don't.

Hey my friend Dan,,,I've got the solution for you! I've used this net several times on lobster dives and once you get the hang of it, it's really fast and quick. The video below really shows it well.

Handy Pak Net Co. EZ Folding Fishing Net - How To Fold the dang thing. - YouTube

$26.95 !! http://handypaknetco.com/shop-onlin...ypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=32&category_id=6

View attachment 120095

Johnoly,

I came up with the idea two years ago, tested it for a year, then had them manufactured with a "lobster proof" net. The version from Handy pak comes with a cotton net, after about 5 catches , you will notice a huge hole in the net. This folding lobster net is actually available for sale at a couple of the local dive shops in South Florida. I've been selling them in Ft Lauderdale for about 6 months now. I hope to have them in more locations by the next mini season. :)

-

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 05:01 PM ----------

Too bad lobster season just ended!!!!

I know the "spiny" season just ended but , it's so easy to carry I still use it to catch spotted spanish lobsters ,when I see them, year round. :D

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom