When does PADI teach gas planning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still agree with the original poster. 1500 PSI is not an acceptable turn pressure for a 130' dive on an Al80.

Not for me, not for him. Some people may be able to do it but it is substantially beyond my comfort level, which also should be factored into rb calculations.

I just wanted to say thanks to all for a fantastic discussion. I feel like I now have a much better understanding of not only how to calculate RB and develop a gas plan, but a much better understanding of the reasoning behind the elements of the calculations.

great thread---agree.

So nice when people actually exchange ideas and I really appreciate the help many offered. It takes effort for people to type out explanations and explain the thinking.

Sideband:
I have never got on a boat and not known where I was going to dive. It may be open as to one of 2 or 3 sites but I knew what those site options were before I signed up. Diving Nitrox I have to know at least the max depth or I could show up with a mix that means I only get to ride the boat out and back with no dive. I have never seen a boat or shop advertise a mystery dive.

Joe

It is not uncommon in our area to do "diver's choice" boat trips - you decide on the boat before you leave the dock. Usually those dives will list a depth range and the conditions are usually fairly similar - but you really have no idea which site you will be diving when you leave for the boat.

Jackie

tedtim:
Not to hijack, but I just have to ask. Is this the source of "back on the boat with 500 PSI."
I was going to throw my Bar gauge away and buy a psi gauge, around here they used to say back on the boat with 500psi or 50 bar, i figured with a psi gauge i could get a longer dive:huh:

probably started out they way and the forgot the real reason for it

500 psi would be a decent reserve for a shallow recreational dive. If you have to be back on the boat with it, you can't use it. Problem is a lot of recreational divers can't calculate turn pressure in order to get back on the boat with 500 psi.

TheRedHead:
500 psi would be a decent reserve for a shallow recreational dive. If you have to be back on the boat with it, you can't use it. Problem is a lot of recreational divers can't calculate turn pressure in order to get back on the boat with 500 psi.

500 PSI is an adequate RB for a very shallow dive in some environments. However, "500 PSI" has no value once ON the boat and I'd just as soon skip diving with any oporation who thinks otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom