When to do AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks CamG, you raise a good point. I haven't done any diving near home, always while travelling. This is a good opportunity to find a good LDS and meet some local divers. Quite a lot of the local dive sites are > 18m, and some are wrecks too, so need training to enjoy those.

I spoke to an LDS recommended by a friend (who did AOW with them a few weeks back), they seem keen to help with buoyancy issues as part of the AOW.. looks like a plan.

As an aside, my other passion at the moment is cycling, where a good LBS is just as important as a good LDS. Funny how such similar terminology evolved :)

I generally advise my students to get comfortable with what they learned in the last class before signing up for the next class.

When you should do so really depends on your goals. If your goal is simply to get more underwater experience under supervision, then the answer is ASAP. If your goal is to learn something new, then follow my advice ... so that you're not struggling with stuff you've already covered and have the bandwidth available to concentrate on developing new skills.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree.
I did mine within 6 months after getting OW because I felt comfortable.
If you are still nervous with techniques or still feel a little shaky on basic skills, work them out first.
Getting your AOW will just make you a better diver while introducing you to new skills to further develop.

Back
Top Bottom