When To End a Tank's Life???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avonthediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've been doing a little research into tanks by Luxfer made during the 1980's, as I have two tank's made in '83. still in great shape and just passed viz again.
But I'm being encouraged to end their long life's by my LDS.

So I have been doing a little reading and just trying to see that after their run for the next year if I should turn them into mail box's.

So I have posted a small read and have a question to the mass' what would you do?

Inspecting Aluminum Scuba Tanks
by Hans Petter Roverud

I do hydrotests and visual inspections for a dive store in Norway. I've seen quite a few cylinders. With few exceptions, those cylinders that are condemned fail the visual rather than the hydro. Aluminum is tricky and treacherous. It doesn't corrode from condensation. However, if it sees salt water, the ensuing damage is obvious in no time. We can stamp out and destroy those tanks without any further checking. According to regulations, we're not allowed to expose aluminum to acid rinsing in an attempt to salvage it. So unless the entire inside surface comes out spotless after a hot water rinse, that cylinder is condemned. No sleep is lost over corroded aluminum!

The really treacherous ones are old aluminum tanks that look OK. They have never seen salt water on the inside and present a flawless shiny surface. They may have been exposed to excessive heat, but this won't show. While the cylinder may still look great, metal fatigue can change the strength of aluminum alloys for a number of reasons. Theoretically, it will show as loss of elasticity during the hydrotest, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. I'm pretty much looking for a reason to condemn any old aluminum tank I test!

These days, the Norwegian Navy throws away cylinders after 10 years of service. A few years ago, a BC inflation cylinder exploded while being stored in a locker. The cylinder was in good standing regarding hydrotesting, yet it failed anyway. It was, however, made of aluminum and older than 10 years. Fortunately, nobody was injured.

Steel is different. Fatigue is less of an issue. When it's bad you can tell at a glance. Usually, the rust kills steel before it fails a hydrotest. Still, a badly rusted steel cylinder may prove to be OK after an acid rinse. Superficial rusting may look messy, but what you really want to know is whether it has progressed to pitting. The point is, what you see is what you get. There's rarely any doubt whether a steel cylinder will pass or not. The only good-looking steel cylinder I've condemned (since it failed the hydrotest) was produced in Germany in 1944. That was not exactly a good year for German industry since WWII had depleted supplies of decent quality steel! Even so, it took almost 50 years to develop fatigue.

Aluminum is more brittle. Old European cylinders have tapered valve threads that seal with a tape. The torque needed for proper sealing transfers as a constant sideways strain to the neck of the cylinder. I've seen aluminum cylinders with tapered threads suddenly develop hairline cracks. Luckily, the air vented rapidly without the valve coming off or the entire tank rupturing. It could be that the torque was excessive, but the point is that aluminum may crack during prolonged strain. Steel would yield, but the brass of the valve stem would be deformed long before the steel would have to yield beyond limits. Another point to remember is that the valve stem has to be isolated from the aluminum by means of tape or grease to avoid galvanic corrosion. This goes for straight as well as tapered valve stems. Brass in direct contact with aluminum means you will sacrifice the aluminum bit by bit due to galvanic corrosion.

Since metal fatigue is so hard to detect in aluminum cylinders, how about adopting the 10 year rule? The cost of condemning an old aluminum tank every 10 years is financially bearable. After all, the tank valve is half the price of a new cylinder. Besides, it's a lot more expensive to replace hands. This being said, I prefer aluminum tanks as side-mounts due to their buoyancy characteristics. I'm in no way suggesting that aluminum is out. I'm just saying that old aluminum tanks are dispensable.

The tanks you have are a different alloy from today's aluminum tanks, 6351 I believe it is. You are fighting an uphill battle with them, give it up and purchase new aluminum tanks that your retail diver store will feel confident filling. Many stores will not fill the 6351 alloy tanks (pre-1989) and the retail store you do business with is not unusual in that regard. N

My tanks pass Hydro, Eddy and VIS. I use them as long as they pass. You are hearing about 13 AL tanks that did have failures, that could be potentially fatal. Not a fun fact, but most of them were firefighting equipment (SCBA) that are exposed to intense heat. The other few were SCUBA tanks. When you think about all the AL tanks that are still in being used, not a bad track record. Cracks around the neck seem to be the culprit. Google the info about Luxfer and Catalina Cylinders.

I'm told, and please don't quote me on this information (it's second hand), the smaller tanks (pony bottles and bail out bottles - 13 and 19 cu.ft. respectively) are the biggest problems. Check out the reports. I'll be diving my 80 doubles tomorrow morning.............

Ever fly in an airplane? Unless it was a Sopwith Camel, it was likely made from aluminum.

If the air fleet had the track record of the 6351 cylinders we'd be grounded and putting the Titanic back into service. The only reason people aren't getting hurt is the inspection program that is weeding dud's out as they begin to fail. Inspection failures are not an oddity.

To the OP, I side with nemrod. As a practical matter it's just not worth jumping through the hoops. Despite your efforts any shop can refuse to full such a cylinder at any time regardless of the inspection status. The same mentality has begun to apply to ANY 20 year old aluminum cylinder.

If someone has such cylinders and their dive shop(s) are accepting of them so be it. Just be wary if you go out of town and need fills.

Pete

The other alternative is to get into collecting steel 72's like I have. I was just given a 1959 USD tank and I had to sand blast the outside and repaint it. I dropped it off for hydro this morning. I have high hopes it will pass. I am up to ten 72's now. As far as I'm concerned, for a smaller size tank they are the best ever made. They are simply wonderful.

I sold all my aluminum tanks and will never own another one again.

I had to finally recycle my 6351 alloy tanks last year, passed hydro the year prior but the dive shop wouldn't give them a viz and won't fill them if I did get a vis on them. The shop is only cutting off the old 6351 alloy and keeps a sheet with affected tank numbers and checks all old AL tanks.

I got a good deal on a pair of 1993 AL Catalina's so it turned out well for me.

I see no reason for arbitrarily giving a short life to AL tanks, hell the 6351 alloy tanks were not failing at every fill. They were shown to to have defects, due to the alloy, which if not caught by the visual inspection could have disastrous results so they are being taken out of service by the SCUBA industry; There is no Government recall.

(Scuba Cylinders) The Luxfer 6351 aluminum alloy was used in tanks that predate 1989. In a very few of those tanks there has been found sustained-load cracking in and around the neck and threads of the tank. Out of 30,000,000 6351 tanks, 17 ruptured. That is 0.00006%! Out of 6,100,000 6351 tanks, 0.37% were found to have sustained-load cracking. It takes an average of approximately 6 years for a tank with sustained-load cracking to begin to leak. The tanks that have developed sustained-load cracking are ones that have been abused, damaged, or over-filled. [\Quote]

This is turning into a marketing tool for some shops to sell more tanks. Instead of checking for the tanks affected some shops will no longer service any AL tank prior to 1990. "Old Aluminun tanks are not safe, we can sell you a new one."

Sometimes I get carried away.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

The only reason people aren't getting hurt is the inspection program that is weeding dud's out as they begin to fail. Inspection failures are not an oddity.

Just like airplanes.

And yes ZKY, steel 72's are the best SCUBA tanks ever made. Only time will tell and it has.

Bob
------------------------------
Not pushing the envelope just poking at it on occasion.

"What would you do?"

I would sell or recycle them and buy new steel tanks. My new HP100 steel tanks weigh about the same, have better buoyancy characteristics, give me 30% more air, take 6 lbs. off my weightbelt, and will last forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom