When To End a Tank's Life???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings Avon and this is a topic very near and dear to my heart as well.
Just a few short months ago one of my Lux HP 3100psi 100's failed VIS.
It not only failed but the SLC sustained load cracks like a spider web!

This was a 88 cylinder and it's twin an 87. No real reason for the cracks other than it had to be overfilled at one time or another.
The catch is I was present for the VIP both years and looked into both tanks. The difference between 09 and 10 vis inspection was catastrophic!
It scared the crap out of me! I am not a certified gas blender but I do fill my own tanks frequently. I never go beyond 200 psi of AL cylinders max capacity which usually allows for a cool down of 2900 - 3000.
Needless to say NO MORE! If capacity is 3000 that is where it stops!
It is easier to let the tank cool then top it off than destroy a perfectly good tank.
It is likely that while this tank was loaned to a friend it got a hot fill of 3600 which is grossly overfilled and thus the drastic cracking but maybe not.
It could have been from the 200 psi over that I routinely pumped it to.

6351 alloy is more brittle and thus more likely to SLC. That is why the eddy current, every three years and yearly vis are required. Follow the rules and if it passes then dive it like normal. Be vigilant and current on all the the tank inspections.
I am still diving the other Lux HP 100 and will until it fails. When it does I will make a bell or pressure pot like his twin.

I am not an authority on tanks but I do fill tanks for a LDS on occasion. I will not fill any tank that does not have a current vis and hydrostatic test. If the tanks appearance is rough and made after 89' I will set it aside for the owner to inspect and make the call. My life and others lives are to precious to me to push a fill on a questionable tank. I know that this will enrage some of the flock but it is my practice.
It is just my practice, it is up to the others to determine what their filling rules are.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom