When to go professional

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fashionablylate:
While I like the idea that I have some "goal" based on this list (rather than just plodding along without any real clue what to do "next"), I almost think it should be the determination of another instructor, or an unbiased agency (like DAN, perhaps?) to determine who is ready to undertake leadership roles in scuba.

My opinion is that DAN has no business telling someone if they have the luxury of being an instructor.
DAN has its good and bad points. But they are not a dive training agency.
My feelings are if someone wants to go through the DM or IDC let them. Poor instructors do not last in the industry.(atleast they shouldnt) Some people may not want to teach, they may just want to do the class.
If they really are lousy divers they will not pass the IE (atleast for PADI) I can only speak about the PADI IE at this point. If your skills suck, and your attitude sucks and your course director still allows the person to go to the IE then the CD should have to answer to it. Do i think the idc should have a screening prior to the start? Sure. Can someone have only 100 dives and have great skills? Sure. Can someone have 1000 dives and still be a ****ty diver? Yup you bet. Its an individual type deal, when applying for the DM or IDC the candidate should have a pow wow with a CD and then head to the pool for an eval.
Hell, a person could go to school to be a highschool teacher and be certified in 4 years.
If the person passes and posses a good attitude towards teaching it shouldt matter if they are 18 or 55, 100 dives or 1000.
-gmount

Simply stated I think all teachers (for anything) should possess the following:

1. A good working knowledge of the subject matter.
2. Experience in the field they are teaching.
3. An ability to teach.

As long as you have all three...

Mark

fashionablylate:
I understand the point of this post, but I am curious to know what others think. How many dives, how many years, how much "stuff" should you have under your belt before you consider enrolling in a DM / instructor program?

According to the certification agencies, the qualifications that Boogie posted (along with some specialized courses) is plenty to become an instructor. So...if the certification agencies are wrong...what's the right answer?

I ask not only because I am interested in the responses, but because I am a relatively new diver, and I am definitely interested in pursuing DM and instructor certifications at some point in the future.

-Andrew

I waited more than 15 years and on the order of 1000 dives before becoming a DM and I'm glad I did.

To me there was no real "bar" but I don't believe in the blind leading the blind and before I put myself in the position of a DM I was intent on having what I thought was enough experience to deal with everything God threw at me.....after all, at some level it's not all just fun and games anymore. We're taught to make it look like fun and games but it isn't.

As for your question I can't really answer that. I know what *I* needed to feel comfortable in the roll but I also know some divers with a lot less experience who are DM-ing and even instructing successfully.

R..

Back
Top Bottom