When to make the jump to divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonnyola87

Super Intelligent Shade of the Color Blue
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Here's a question that I'm sure will spark some contention:
I'm a PADI Rescue Diver, with intent to make the leap to Dive Master so that I can work professionally. I want to ultimately be leading dives, be able to work with researchers and aquariums, dive shops, etc. Unsure yet if I want to end up teaching, but I do know for sure I want to get my dive master certification. The question is do people think there is a certain number of dives or time spent at Rescue before I should consider starting that course? I have just around 100 dives to my name and dive with consistency. I'd like to start looking for a preceptor for DM soon, but would like to know if people with experience think its worth waiting.

Much appreciated.

Technically you can sign up for DM training with 40 dives, but much better that you've hit a 100+, particularly if those are across a range of diving environments.

You seem pretty committed, which is a good sign. My advice would be to ensure your core diving skills are squared away, by which I mean buoyancy, trim and propulsion. Maybe a bit of one to one with a tech instructor would help.

A large part of the role is looking after and encouraging students / novice divers, so natural empathy, friendliness and role model behaviour is vital. Someone with great skills but poor people skills will never be a good DM.

I'm glad you're not sure if you want to go on to instructing yet. Once you get your DM, I would recommend you consolidate and gain 'time served' rather than jumping to instructor too quickly. Some people view DM as a stepping stone. It isn't, it's a vital role and a good DM is just as valuable as any instructor.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I expect you’ll see a number of people suggesting that you should have several times as many logged dives as PADI requires.

There is merit in this position because skills and awareness take more time to develop than “zero to hero” training programs permit. It would be easy to meet the minimum requirement without encountering enough situations to build a suitable experience base.

However, there is another perspective that may apply to your situation. Skills, composure, and responsibility matter more than the raw number of dives in your log. The fact that you’re concerned about the possibility of your credentials outstripping your competence even though you already exceed the requirement speaks well of your sense of responsibility and suggests there is little chance of your becoming overconfident.

If you want further assurance, you might want to ask a few instructors who are not in a position to sell your their DM program what they think of your skills and readiness to take the next step. But from my perspective, someone with a hundred dives who wants to do the work of a DM and cares about being truly qualified is someone I’d be happy to develop through the program.

Best wishes,

Technically you can sign up for DM training with 40 dives, but much better that you've hit a 100+, particularly if those are across a range of diving environments.

You seem pretty committed, which is a good sign. My advice would be to ensure your core diving skills are squared away, by which I mean buoyancy, trim and propulsion. Maybe a bit of one to one with a tech instructor would help.

A large part of the role is looking after and encouraging students / novice divers, so natural empathy, friendliness and role model behaviour is vital. Someone with great skills but poor people skills will never be a good DM.

I'm glad you're not sure if you want to go on to instructing yet. Once you get your DM, I would recommend you consolidate and gain 'time served' rather than jumping to instructor too quickly. Some people view DM as a stepping stone. It isn't, it's a vital role and a good DM is just as valuable as any instructor.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Hello Graeme,

Thank you so much for the advice. I do work on core skills quite frequently, I'm a big believer in fundamentals. (My wife and I actually do rescue and nav drills on a semi-routine basis just to stay sharp). My passion is simply to spread this passion-awareness of diving and our life/interaction with the ocean in general. I have about 30 more dives planned for this year with local shops and on one trip to the Caribbean (I work full time in healthcare so my time to dive is dictated by that). I'm thinking after this I'll reassess and start working with my instructor.

Thanks again.
Jon

I expect you’ll see a number of people suggesting that you should have several times as many logged dives as PADI requires.

There is merit in this position because skills and awareness take more time to develop than “zero to hero” training programs permit. It would be easy to meet the minimum requirement without encountering enough situations to build a suitable experience base.

However, there is another perspective that may apply to your situation. Skills, composure, and responsibility matter more than the raw number of dives in your log. The fact that you’re concerned about the possibility of your credentials outstripping your competence even though you already exceed the requirement speaks well of your sense of responsibility and suggests there is little chance of your becoming overconfident.

If you want further assurance, you might want to ask a few instructors who are not in a position to sell your their DM program what they think of your skills and readiness to take the next step. But from my perspective, someone with a hundred dives who wants to do the work of a DM and cares about being truly qualified is someone I’d be happy to develop through the program.

Best wishes,
Hi Scraps,

I really appreciate the guidance. I would definitely consider myself a fundamentals first person, and while I most definitely want the responsibility of leading and encouraging new divers, I want to make sure THEY have confidence in ME, which ultimately I think is what makes a good dive leader. I'm former Army and have worked in healthcare for 10 years, so my mindset is safety is paramount, and good leadership can really make or break a tough situation. It's good to hear some expert perspectives.

There's no magic number, beyond the minimum specified by PADI. You sound pretty committed so I would say go for it whenever it fits your schedule. Just realize that just because you meet the certification requirements, you don't stop learning. Dive training is important, but experience gained while actually diving is at least as valuable if not more so.

Well, you’re more mature and have a hell of a lot more diving experience than the young things with no common sense I run into online who have 10 dives and want to do zero to hero.

Good luck!

When you're a master of diving?

Alas, you can start working for a shop towards your divemaster card from way before you know anything about diving.

I have just around 100 dives to my name and dive with consistency.

Just go for it !! Get into it. The world has changed, teaching systems are better, gear and safety systems are more standardised/consistent. The world is no longer flat.

The number of dives needed to start the training is close to meaningless. People who are critical of it seem to have a hidden sense that the number of dives you have to start the training is all that is required for certification. They discount the training that takes place during the class.

Think about the question for a minute as if it were another sport, say golf or skiing. Ask yourself how much golf or skiing you should do to best ingrain your current habits before you go to a professional to show you how things should be done.

If you choose a really good program, they will take you wherever you are now and then take you where you need to be. But choose a good program, not someone who is going to do the least amount required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom