When to make the jump to divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some question marks I'm still working on if anyone has any recent experience:
-If I answer "no" to everything on the medical questionnaire, presumably I still need a physical and to have a provider sign off?
Read the form. Noes mean no on most forms.

However some locations require a medical prior to courses. They should let you know in advance. I had to pay a "doctor" €$£30 in Spain for this look into ear and wield a stethoscope and ask a few questions.

-Where I live, things like Skin Diver, DSD, etc. classes don't come up too often. Is it a requirement to assist with/instruct every one of these offerings?
No.

If I answer "no" to everything on the medical questionnaire, presumably I still need a physical and to have a provider sign off?
Not sure about PADI but with SSI, you need to complete a new medical form, signed by a medical provider every year for the professional side. I did a new one last year when I crossed over to SSI for the recreational side but when I did my DIVEMASTER this year, they made me complete a new one and get it signed off by a doctor Even though my previous medical form was only 4 months old.

For PADI tech classes, you need a physician sign off regardless of whether you have any issues on the list.

For PADI tech classes, you need a physician sign off regardless of whether you have any issues on the list.
Just PADI? Do they refund you the cost of the pointless doctor's visit to cover THEIR arse?

Just PADI? Do they refund you the cost of the pointless doctor's visit to cover THEIR arse?
I only know of PADI. I don't know the rules for all dive operations. What does this have to do with covering their arse? I know you have some sort of obsession that requires you to seize any opportunity to bash PADI, no matter how nonsensical, but I'm having trouble seeing this one.

There are some question marks I'm still working on if anyone has any recent experience:
-If I answer "no" to everything on the medical questionnaire, presumably I still need a physical and to have a provider sign off?
-Where I live, things like Skin Diver, DSD, etc. classes don't come up too often. Is it a requirement to assist with/instruct every one of these offerings?
For the physical (I assume you are doing PADI DM) IIRC, yes you must have a sign-off from a physician. It should be in your instructor manual and on your sign-off sheet, but that's from memory.

As for the skin diver, DSD etc. Yes, you have to do those, but they can be simulated. Again from memory, a large portion of the skin diver (maybe all?) is conducted in OW. I used to have DMs teach that portion of the course when I taught for PADI. The in-water portion of DSD is the same as PADI CW1, so I think you could potentially teach that with OW students under supervision, and cover at least the in-water portions of DSD... As for whether all this is within standards, I'm not sure.

All of the standards on your course are covered in the instructor manual, so that should be your go-to for the skin diving and DSD questions though, as they probably have a plan on how to get you from where you are to where you need to be.

Although Padi considers a DM something less than an instructor, I think that instead being a DM is the ultimate level.
I became a one-star Cmas instructor at 20, and finally reached the 3-stars instructor certification at 25. At 26 I finally became a DM and I started working professionally in holidays resort in Sicily and at Maldives.
I was around 300 dives at that point.
A DM has great responsibilities, conducting groups of unknown divers in deep dives in the sea.
A DM must be fully self-reliant, as no one is going to help him. He must carry additional equipment for supporting the other divers (more gas, an additional long hose regulator designed to be donated, a spare mask, additional weights, an additional SMB, etc.).
He must be able to swim faster and stronger than any diver under his responsibility, for being able to "catch" them when required.
Working as a DM is wonderful, but truly challenging. And quite underpaid...
So, if you are committed to this goal, good luck, and take all the steps required.
Beyond rescue diver, and before the DM course, I would recommend the solo (self reliant), deep, deco, navigation and cavern.
At that point you will be around 200 dives, and technically ready for working as a DM.
You could also first take the DM certification, and later gain the required experience.
But the risk is to jump over some steps, and to get the responsibility over other divers before you are really ready for this.

I only know of PADI. I don't know the rules for all dive operations. What does this have to do with covering their arse? I know you have some sort of obsession that requires you to seize any opportunity to bash PADI, no matter how nonsensical, but I'm having trouble seeing this one.
Honestly John, it’s not an agency dig. It’s a dig at the political BS that larger organisations foist upon their users. They have a perceived a small risk and then put everyone through the consequential cost and inconvenience. I see this nonsense happening in many non-diving organisations, often lead by bean counters or nowadays the woke mob (DIE indoctrination).

I cannot remember ever being asked for a doctor's report when doing my TDI and IANTD classes. They hand out the standard medical waver form and that’s that.

The only medical requirement was for my Open Water course in a Spanish resort, basically a doctor taking €30 for a 10 minute or less appointment. Well organised in a resort, but a royal PITA outside of that bubble.

Although Padi considers a DM something less than an instructor, I think that instead being a DM is the ultimate level.
I became a one-star Cmas instructor at 20, and finally reached the 3-stars instructor certification at 25. At 26 I finally became a DM and I started working professionally in holidays resort in Sicily and at Maldives.
I was around 300 dives at that point.
A DM has great responsibilities, conducting groups of unknown divers in deep dives in the sea.
A DM must be fully self-reliant, as no one is going to help him. He must carry additional equipment for supporting the other divers (more gas, an additional long hose regulator designed to be donated, a spare mask, additional weights, an additional SMB, etc.).
He must be able to swim faster and stronger than any diver under his responsibility, for being able to "catch" them when required.
Working as a DM is wonderful, but truly challenging. And quite underpaid...
So, if you are committed to this goal, good luck, and take all the steps required.
Beyond rescue diver, and before the DM course, I would recommend the solo (self reliant), deep, deco, navigation and cavern.
At that point you will be around 200 dives, and technically ready for working as a DM.
You could also first take the DM certification, and later gain the required experience.
But the risk is to jump over some steps, and to get the responsibility over other divers before you are really ready for this.
Love this advice, thank you. Very helpful. That's more or less what I've been doing. I've been taking it slow and taking extra time to lead dives (alongside my instructor) while he lets me take the reins. What a world of difference it has made. I've "led" dives with close friends for years (meaning we all get into the water with a vague plan and do our thing) but until I was actually LOOKED TO as a leader and relied upon, I had no idea how it actually felt. That learning has been more valuable than anything. I'm glad I've taken my time and broken it up over the course of a year or so.

For the physical (I assume you are doing PADI DM) IIRC, yes you must have a sign-off from a physician. It should be in your instructor manual and on your sign-off sheet, but that's from memory.

As for the skin diver, DSD etc. Yes, you have to do those, but they can be simulated. Again from memory, a large portion of the skin diver (maybe all?) is conducted in OW. I used to have DMs teach that portion of the course when I taught for PADI. The in-water portion of DSD is the same as PADI CW1, so I think you could potentially teach that with OW students under supervision, and cover at least the in-water portions of DSD... As for whether all this is within standards, I'm not sure.

All of the standards on your course are covered in the instructor manual, so that should be your go-to for the skin diving and DSD questions though, as they probably have a plan on how to get you from where you are to where you need to be.
This is essentially what we've decided upon. I've been leading the basic exercises in confined water, which it turns out are most of what is needed for DSD and skin diver, and then doing the rest by simulation. So some with students, some with my instructor. We've been piecing it together without my even noticing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom