When to start DIR training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second Rob's advice to contact Liam. I've heard nothing but good things about him. Recognizing that Australia is a large place, if you guys could get together for a dive, he could immediately tell you whether the Primer was the better place to start, or Fundies.

I believe it was one of the British GUE instructors who said that his opinion is that you should take Fundies when you can sit still enough in the water to watch a skill being demonstrated. Until then, the class is hard to teach and hard to take. But you need nothing more than that; the earlier you get good instruction, the fewer bad habits you will ingrain.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or if I can be of any assistance.

I second Rob's advice to contact Liam. I've heard nothing but good things about him. Recognizing that Australia is a large place, if you guys could get together for a dive, he could immediately tell you whether the Primer was the better place to start, or Fundies.

I believe it was one of the British GUE instructors who said that his opinion is that you should take Fundies when you can sit still enough in the water to watch a skill being demonstrated. Until then, the class is hard to teach and hard to take. But you need nothing more than that; the earlier you get good instruction, the fewer bad habits you will ingrain.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or if I can be of any assistance.

i'd say thats a good baseline as to whether a student is ready for the class or not

Agreed, the earlier you can start, the better.

If you can't afford to take the class or can't get your schedule to work with your instructor's, a good mentor can get you started in the right direction. It worked very well for me until I could pull the trigger on the class.

Talk to your potential instructor, but the above advice is sound. I took my UTD Essentials class with less than 20 dives to my name.

Peace,
Greg

I have just under 50 dives so far and wife is close behind.

[...]

What is my best course of action from here?? More dives first or find a GUE Primer or Rec Level ?? course?

i took fundies with about 25 dives. you should have more than enough preparation for a GUE primer course or fundies rec pass.

I believe it was one of the British GUE instructors who said that his opinion is that you should take Fundies when you can sit still enough in the water to watch a skill being demonstrated.

Bob has said the same thing, which is what drdrdiver was referring to.

I second Liam. He is a first class instructor and a very approachable guy.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom