When you use PayPal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100

Reaction score
This is unrelated to the other thread I post, just to protect the seller, I am trying to
send out a reminder to make sure they know what they are involved when using eBay and PayPal. Next time when you buy your dive equipment online you will be able to estimate the risk. Again, when I heard someone has a problem with online shopping, I usually neglect, because I was sure that I would not have the same problem, but it turned out that when I did, I've found that the advice from others are actually useful. Online shopping is conventient as long as the transaction doesn't go bad, but when it does it sucks.

PayPal owns by eBay but they are two seperated company localed at different states.

Because eBay and PayPal are in different states, so even if you live in CA, the California small claim court cannot protect you when issues arise. PayPal admit that the protection to the customers is limited unless you're using PayPal credit card. They are familiar with the problems involved and yet this is part of their business model. So although PayPal is doing the service as a middle guy, they're only protecting the user with the min e.g. $200+ dollars insurance when the buyer is having a $550+ transaction when the seller is not buying special insurance for the item.

Anytime the buyer is trying to have a private way to deal with the seller, e.g. when there is a mail lost, or the item is not the right one, etc. PayPal would be hands off.
So, in a way, when some are suggesting that you should rely on the buyer to do the refund, be careful. The consequence can be good, or it can be bad. If you know the seller well maybe it's a good idea to min the hessle if not, good luck.

According to the refund procedure, a police report has to be done within 10 days, and Paypal is counting Saterday and Sunday as workdays, so pls check, many policy report cannot be generated within 10 days for release provide that they have to store it at the database first before they can allow people to release the report, Check with your local police dept in case you're in need on this. If you cannot manage to have it on time, make sure you talk to PayPal MANAGER, they MIGHT be able to give you extention.

When issue happen, eBay would leave the seller and buyer to settle it, but when there is no settlement, eBay will tell you to let PayPal to handle it if you're using PayPal for the payment. NOTICE: Any thing that is being typed in message area at eBay, PayPal do not have access to it, so please don't think that you can use the eBay messages to tell PayPal what has happened. Any promise at the message board, private phone calls between Buyer and seller would not be counted. Paypal would ask both parties to follow the procedure when the settlement period expired, at this moment if your refund is not in hand yet, please be careful. The buyer may need to file a police report ON TIME (i.e. ASAP). Again, if the seller walks away, PayPal would only pay for the min if the seller has not insured the item, they don't really have the resource to get you back the money right the way. Once the procedure is started, please stick with the procedure, cause if private deal is done, PayPal would leave it.

So it depends if you know the seller ( or how well you know the buyer if you're a seller).

When we use PayPal (not Paypal credit card), our own credit card cannot help us too much anymore because at the moment you use PayPal even you have used your credit card, once the authorization is made, your credit card company has finished its role as the middle guy. Yes, your own credit card can protect you better in terms of getting full refund.

The seller can buy insurance at eBay, and it would show up saying that the seller is buy insurance for the item, but it is up to the seller.

In shortl, if you use eBay, please consider to use your own credit card!!!

I was going to use paypal once.....unitl I read the pages of mice type. No way I was going to agree to those terms. Before signing up, everyone should read the agreement in full....if you still sign, good luck.

PayPal is not a bank or a credit card issuer. They do not follow the rules of a bank or credit card issuer.

Usually I will charge something to a credit card when I pay through PayPal. Then, if something goes wrong, I have American Express or Visa to help me fight.

I sometimes sell on eBay but always offer buyers some different options for payment including PayPal, money orders and credit cards. It just makes things easier for the buyers. At the same time, I offer all these payment options on my own website as well. What I have noticed though is that the vast majority of buyers on eBay do use PayPal while most through the website prefer credit card.

I think a lot of people read the eBay ad for up to $1000 insurance, but do not know that it is not like you buy anything within $1000, it would be fully protected. Then PayPal also has it's small letters in the contract. When dispute happen, the procedure needed to follow is not known ahead of time until you triggered it. Even when I read the policy again, they are all "subjected to changed", like the min payment eBay would like to refund in case the seller walks away.

If a person use his/her credit card to pay for paypal, once the authorization is made, the credit card company cannot do much about it. Yes, I've heard that you can claim that you didn't really authorize it and let the credit card company would do some about it, but if the seller was making a mistake, why do I have to lie in order to get back the refund?
The machanism is just not working.

You don't lie, you tell the truth and say I bought this item and never received it. The CC company will investigate and refund as they see fit. Of course Paypal will blackball you and you can't use them after you dispute the charges.

Negative. I talked to the credit card company, if I authorize the credit card company to transfer the $ to PayPal, their job is over, PayPal is now the middle guy who is going to regulate b/w the buyer and seller. I am SURE about it.

eBay is only going to track the shipping but they cannot guaranteer what's inside. The refund is as what I have stated above.

If the credit card company is the only middle guy (no PayPal) they would help the customer vs. what I was talking about the Paypal policy.

First... let me say that I think this thread is in the wrong forum. (shouldn't be in New Divers - more like non-scuba or whine)

Secondly, let me say that I will provide a merchant's prospective. I have an online store, and 3 phyical stores in 2 different states.

I accept pay pal for my website (although most pay with credit card) -

Merchants also must trust that the buyer is a reputable buyer, who doesn't make false chargeback claims against the seller. Does this happen? All too often for many online retailers. Many retailers face this type of fraud on a regular basis. I would imagine that internet only businesses face this much more than I do. I will say that it's just as easy to defraud the merchant as the buyer, as it is vice versa. It's an unfortunate part of doing business, that people steal from businesses, and fradulent businesses steal from people.

As to the topic at hand... Online shopping dangerous? No more dangerous, than giving your credit card to a waiter, clerk, hotel check in - ANYONE at all, who can write all of your numbers down, and go nuts. Using pay pal dangerous? Just the same as any other method of payment. Remember - Pay Pal is like cash... It's not always easy to get a cash refund for product (real or otherwise - or like getting home from a store and finding an empty box instead of what you thought was inside), and sometimes, the person (store) on the other end doesn't care.

As another personal experience... I have gotten satisfaction from Pay Pal in a dispute with a merchant I purchased some advertising from, and payed with pay pal. They didn't provide the service (it was tough, but I did get my money)... So good luck with your case (if you even have one)... Not all disputes end up with a happy customer or a happy merchant.

Back
Top Bottom