WHERE are aircraft wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an F-14, supposedly pretty much intact, out off the coast of San Diego in almost 200' of water. It's a F-14 trainer that the crew ejected for unknown reasons(it's suspected they ran out of fuel) in the late '90's/early 2000. I don't know the specific date, I've only heard about it and hope to dive it next time I'm out in California.

Mike

B17 Blackjack
By the summer of 1943 Japanese forces in the Pacific were on the defensive. The Solomon Islands were in allied hands and Papua New Guinea was no longer at risk of falling. On 11 July a Japanese convoy from Rabul to Lae carrying 7000 troops was attacked and virtually annihilated by B17 Flying Fortresses. Less than 900 troops survived.

For this mission B17 Blackjack carried a scratch crew commanded by Lieutenant Ralph DeLoach. It was not their lucky day. The aircraft was having engine problems even before the attack but pushed on. Following the attack first one then both engines on one wing failed.

This was not the end of their bad luck. Encountering a tropical storm the aircraft became lost and blown further off course. Blackjack was running low on fuel and becoming increasingly difficult to fly. With no options left, DeLoach made the decision to ditch the aircraft on a shallow reef.

With a sandy seabed, a grey aluminium aircraft and light blue water there is very little contrast. As my eyes adjust I can just about make out the tail and the other wingtip, establishing the visibility as about 30 metres to match the B17's wing span.

I loop out in front of the wreck to see just how much I can get into the viewfinder of my camera. All four engines retain their propeller blades. I can see that the nose has been crushed and bent upwards by the crash.

Returning to the fuselage, the dorsal turret located behind the cockpit is intact and pointing to the tail. Further back above the radio room the escape hatch through which the crew made their exit lies open. Windows at the waist lie open where machine guns were jettisoned. Inside the fuselage is a seething mass of glass fish.

Lieutenant DeLoach was awarded the Silver Star for his flying skills. After the war he went on to become and advertising icon as "Malbro Man" and subsequently worked as the horse wrangler for the Medicine Woman television series.

Jeff Great lakes diver

Gilboa quarry in NW Ohio near the town of Findlay has an intact Gurman airstream at about 45ft. This is quite an attraction at what is arguably the best dive quarry in Ohio. You can check it out at <www.divegilboa.com>. This jet is easy to penetrate and allot of fun to see. Gilboa has year round vis in the 50-75+ ft. range and depth from very shallow to 130ft. Access is very easy and besides the jet there are many other interesting underwater attractions.

Are you speaking of 'true' wrecks or artificial reefs??

Plenty of WW2 aircraft at Truk - from zero fighters to a large float plane.

I'm always impressed how pristine aircraft wreaks are - coral clearly doesn't like to grow on Aluminum.

Cheers,
Rohan.

texdiveguy:
Are you speaking of 'true' wrecks or artificial reefs??

Holy Crap---I just looked at the date of this org. post--- 2002,,,I have been asking a question of someone from 4 years ago----LOL!!!!!!!!!

in san diego we have lots of aircraft....... including a B-36 bomber in 270', f-4 phantom in 150', P-38 lightning in 130' , TBM avenger in 90' , Corsair in 300', Ch-46 helo in 240', H-2 helo in 96', AWACS in 300' plus a whole slew of private craft and some more that are "secret"

To California Diver

Is there any picts available of these A/C and if so where can I view them.

Back
Top Bottom