Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got lucky over Memorial Day Weekend and had the opportunity to dive Saturday and Monday. The first day was the back shore of Gloucester by kayak. The diving was good with vis in the 30 foot range at 50 feet. It was cold though, 43F at depth in a wetsuit. The dives were short 46 minutes and 39 minutes. Hunting was good.
Monday I dove Magnolia. I was itching to try out my new 130 and only had time for one dive. So decided to dive dry and make it worth while. This was the first time I ever got 50 feet of depth off Magnolia on a shore dive. Out of curiosity I surfaced to check my distance from shore.It was a little scary how far I was actually out. I love this new tank. Bottom time 98 minutes, a new record for me. Hunting was good again. Saw a Windowpain Flounder for the first time in years. This was by far the best dive so far this year.

On the 23rd Im heading on a trip up to Fortune Pond in Crystal Falls, MI. I've heard a ton of good stuff about it from both online and my LDS, like that the average vis. is between 50-100ft!!! Also pretty secluded and aside from divers..only the occasional fisherman...which I gather is pretty uncommon. Its cold though, 40-45f below like 30ft. Not a ton of life there, but amazing vis and some cool rock structures with the occasional fish or turtle.

Had a nice solo dive at my local mudhole last evening ... first time in a couple weeks I got the camera wet ...

Found a juvenile wolf eel ...

JuviWolfie1.jpg

A janolus fusca nudi ...

Janolus.jpg

... and a couple of sole mates ...

KissingFlounders.jpg

I cut the dive a bit short because one of my drygloves sprang a leak ... max depth 91 feet, bottom time 52 minutes ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Went our local lake on 6/10 and managed to get 2 dives in.
Second time out with new Oceanic Excursion II bcd and also with new slung al40. I’ll admit I was very skeptical of the “you won’t notice it” comments in the plethora of posts regarding said rig. But, erh, I’m sold! Only thing I changed up was slinging it on my right side, more comfortable + easier access to console.
Max depth of 39’, 60 min/57 min 71d water temp. Practiced buoyancy control at varying depths, different kicks and using pony. Grabbed a catfish by the tail, saw a lot of carp, and surfaced to find a bunch of kids messing with my crap on shore.
Great day...beats work

I met Shoredvr at last....

Sorry for the weird headline, but after many years of waddling around the same dive sights, I finally met the World Famous Shoredvr. It was very exciting, but I digress...

Last weekend, I was forced to work with my long-time solo-buddy. (We dive alone at the same time, on the same wreck, and even see each other now and again...)

On Sunday, Mrs. Stoo was kind enough to tend boat (again) so I dove first at Bad Neighbour Rock. (That's how we spell "Neighbour" up her in Canada BTW...). BNR is basically a shoal with a vertical drop-off on one side that drops down to about 220' with the remains of an old crib (presumably from a light on the shoal eons ago...). I was sensible and levelled out at 188' before I leisurely cruised back up. Bottom time was 22 minutes, total was 40 minutes. Water temp was 52F at the top and 37 at the bottom.

A few hours later, I dove on the Arabia again. It's certainly my favorite wreck in these parts. Depth is 110'. Bottom time was 24 minutes, total 38. Temp was 54 at the surface and a sweltering 42 at depth.

A glorious day all around...

460680_10151101179149505_106975664_o.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome shot, Stoo ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Had a fantastic solo dive on Inchcape 2 this morning on the east coast of UAE

Found and interesting nudi Thecacera pacifica

GTS_7865Csig.jpg

GTS_7882Csig.jpg

Another gorgeous day here in Tobermory.... Two dives... Forest City (155') and the Niagara II (102'). Here are some shots from the Niagara...
552890_10151164327604505_1712145746_n.jpg 180289_10151164407039505_988476540_n.jpg 206183_10151164325539505_220152356_n.jpg

Back on Inchcape 2 again this morning, nice Phidiana militaris on an old fish trap near the bow

GTS_8026M2Csig.jpg

Second dive was just as good, 10 other divers on the boat off to break a new u/w swimming record, found a pair of Risbecia pulchella as well as mating cuttlefish and some nice shrimp.

GTS_8064Csig.jpg

I went to Fort Whetril Jamestown, RI for a shake down dive and do some practice with the reel. Going to dive the U853 tomorrow and the olny surprises I want are dolphins, sharks, and such. There were issues with the reel when last used that have happened before. So some modifications were done, that seems to have solved the issues. The reel was smooth as slik and no birdnests.
The water is getting warmer, bottom temp was 58F surface temp 68F! Visibilty was a surprising 10'-15', lots of bait fish a few small togs, a large horseshoe crab plowing along the sand. I didn't bring the camera, didn't think the vis would be that "good". There was an impressive colony of small white anemones on the underside of a huge boulder that creates a dark area where the colony blooms. It would have been a nice shot, I was the 1st diver there so the water was fairly clear. Fifty eight minutes BT max depth 30fsw (sand dart) avg depth 20fsw. The shake down was almost a clean sweep. I did find that I need to shorten the line for my upper dump valve on the wing. When I used it, it was tangled on something that stuck the valve open and made a sand dart out of me :) I got it undone and measured as best I could how much it needed to be cut.

DasBoat! Afterdark is on his way!

Back
Top Bottom