where do i dive in great lakes???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ...

Is there any part of the great lakes that one can dive without a dry suit in this weather? locations/ dive op recommendations welcome ...

cheers

Aziz

Hello ...

Is there any part of the great lakes that one can dive without a dry suit in this weather? locations/ dive op recommendations welcome ...

Pretty much the entire St. Lawrence river is in the mid-high 70's, which you can easily do in a 5mm wetsuit,or a 3mm if you're "sturdy". :D

Ontario is about the same if you stay above the thermocline, although the exact location of the thermocline changes depending on the location and weather.

"The Great Lakes" is about the same size as most of Europe. It's a pretty big area. However if you can tell us specifically what you're thinking of, we can tell you who runs dives in the area.

flots.

Last edited:
Hello ...

cheers

Aziz

It is a very individual answer to that question. From my experience, I can tell you I will dive anywhere in Huron or Erie this time of the year in a wetsuit (haven't dove the others. yet). I dive with others that insist on dry suit all year round in this area.

I plan on diving in Superior come Labor Day weekend, and I plan on bringing my dry suit for those dives. The reason isn't the water temp, it's not being sure what the conditions for surface interval will be.

Ken

PS, go to Tobermory Ontariofor some great dives. Expect chilly temps on the bottom, tho.

I dive southern Lake Michigan "wet". Specifically off of Milwaukee and Chicago. The months of July, August and September are the warmest but I have seen other divers go "wet" as early as the beginning of June. Not my cup of tea but they seem to be able to do it. Your personal tolerance to cold will play a big part in what thermal protection you will chose for The Great Lakes.

I dive from Muskegon to Pentwater wet in a 5/4 mm from July to September.

The answer of course depends on what is too cold for you. I just dove Tobermory (lake Huron/Georgian Bay Ontario) at the beginning of August. The viz was 50'+, amazing wrecks and 44F below 60'. I dive a one piece 7mm wetsuit and found it ok.

I just got back from Door County in Wisconsin, were it got down to 52 degrees at 100 feet on the Green Bay side. I was perfectly comfortable in a 7mm farmer john and I'm sure I would be fine in in water temperature in the 40's as well. Dry suits excel when there is both cold water AND cold weather. The advantage diminishes greatly in the summer months. I am, by the way, a dry suit diver, but will be diving wet for the foreseeable future until I get my suit repaired. Maintenance is also an advantage that wet suits have over dry.

Back
Top Bottom