Where do I find info on shore diving on the "wild side" of Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gabyne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

I'd like to do some shore diving on the east coast of Bonaire when I'm there mid of February. I heard rumours there are some spots where you could go in from the shore without using an expensive boat (as long as conditions are favourable, of course).

Who has more detailed info on this?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Gaby

I was there this past summer, here are two, but you are right the conditions have to be favorable which is rare on the wildside:

Blue Hole, also called White Hole, is a shore dive that is for advanced divers only. It lies off Lac Bay and requires a long walk in shallow water to the drop-off. The dive begins in 15 feet and slopes down to 100 feet.

Cai - starts at the conch shell hills right at the small pier. The entrance is easy, but be aware of the sometimes really strong outgoing current (Rip current). You should have a lot of experience with current for this dive, because you go out first with the current but you have to get back against the strong rip current.

I was out in Bonaire in April and November, and on the first trip three of us hit a couple of wildside shore dives but, even though the wind was blowing in the right direction and it hadn't been that windy the previous four or five days, we still had to contend with surf a metre or so high, which was so bad getting in, but made exits kind of fun! I was glad of having my Force Fins, as I was able to get my feet down and braced against the wave action, then walked out with them on. My friend wasn't so lucky in his Avanti Quattros and ended up having to put his hand down – right on a nice, fat long-spined sea urchin. There are hundreds of the little blighters on that side of the island, and they always seem to be in the shallows under the surf where you can't see 'em, so watch out!

The diving on that side of the island is well worth doing if you can get in, though – the reef topography is completely different, with far more soft corals and sponges, and in better condition because there are more nutrients, etc. Also more pelagics – we saw plenty of turtles, barracuda, jacks, rays and a couple of skittery reef sharks.

Enjoy!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom