Where do you carry your strobe? Other safety ecquipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001:
I suppose this assumes that the can-light is seen as dumpable weight. There are certainly ways to combine them if neither the can-light nor the pocket is the size of a Volkswagen Beetle.

In a DIR context there may only be one way to do this but that way is debatable in other contexts given the advent of more energy efficient light-heads.
Actually, no. I don't consider $1200 flashlights as ditchable weight.

The issue is whether I need a Helios 9 18 watt HID on Bonaire, for example, where it resembles a runaway nuclear reactor above my fist in water with some 200' lateral visibility. I could signal passing aircraft.

For tropical night dives I suspect I could survive the dive using a smaller light, and stick a pouch on my right waist to run the long hose beneath.

However, if you want to take a can light to the tropics, have fun! :D

Doc

Oh....then I think I missed your point. I was reacting to you saying that the pouch should be used instead of a light. I assumed you meant by that they they can't be combined for some reason. Is this what you meant?

R..

Diver0001:
Oh....then I think I missed your point. I was reacting to you saying that the pouch should be used instead of a light. I assumed you meant by that they they can't be combined for some reason. Is this what you meant?
Here is a photo of the Halcyon pouch threaded onto the right waistband of a single tank bp/wing rig. As you can see, it pretty much takes up the right side, and bolts to the lowest hole on the right side of the bp (so no buckle is needed to hold it in place). With such a pouch you would run the long hose beneath it, as shown, but you wouldn't be able to use a can light. I'm of the opinion that in a tropical setting this wouldn't be a huge problem, but hell...I've been wrong before! :wink: Your mileage may definitely vary!

Doc Intrepid:
Here is a photo of the Halcyon pouch threaded onto the right waistband of a single tank bp/wing rig. As you can see, it pretty much takes up the right side, and bolts to the lowest hole on the right side of the bp (so no buckle is needed to hold it in place). With such a pouch you would run the long hose beneath it, as shown, but you wouldn't be able to use a can light. I'm of the opinion that in a tropical setting this wouldn't be a huge problem, but hell...I've been wrong before! :wink: Your mileage may definitely vary!

I see. I agree you couldn't combine a light and a pocket using this pocket but there are certainly alternatives to this pocket. It's enormous.

For the things he needs to carry a much smaller pocket would suffice.

R..

Just ordered a few different pockets from dive-rite (planning to return the ones I don't like). Thanks again for all of the advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom