Where do you get a strobe for a Canon A570IS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, here are some pics I took with the camera. I'll put in links rather than thumbnails to save space.

Example of image "too orange"
Example of image "too orange" and bottom right black (from both flash and strobe being on left)
Example of bottom right black
Better pic in shallower water (20 feet)
Another shallow pic

As I stated before, tonight I am going to try reducing the exposure, turning off underwater mode, and reducing slave's power to 1/2. Also, it is worth mentioning that on the last shots I forgot my camera flash diffuser (although i did have the diffuser on the strobe), so I will make sure I bring that and use it tonight.

I have been following this thread with some interest, as I have been using a Canon A620 and the Canon housing for the last year. I borrowed a friend's YS-25 with a fiber optic sync cord on a trip to Ginnie Springs last February, but most of my photography has been with available light only (I have found little use for the built-in flash). I use a UK Light Canon for video with the A620.

Our recent trip to Key Largo convinced me that I am ready to move up to an external strobe, so I went ahead and ordered the YS-60 and HW adapter after reading this thread. I expect to have it next week.

When I used the YS-25, I taped the end of the sync cord onto the housing in front of the flash. How is the HW adapter used? Does it just need to be attached to the arms and aimed in the general area of the camera's flash, or does it need to be mounted on the case somehow?

Thanks guys!
When you order the HW adapter (4 or 5 pin), do you get just the round plastic adapter or do you also get the cables and have to cut/splice etc like it says on one of the websites I read? What about the "circuit board looking" chip, does that come with it? I had read somewhere that you just glue down the adapter to the housing and screw in the cable from the YS-60. Is that the case? Sorry, I'm confused!
There's no splicing necnesary. You just connect the cable from the stobe into the HW adapter and place the adapter near the flash of your camera (on the outside of the housing) and you're ready to go. The HW adapter does come with some cable ties, a piece of bungee cord and some velcro-like tape to attach it to the houisng as you see fit.
If you are getting the HW adapter with the YS-60 from the Sea&Sea closeout, you need to purchase nothing more. The YS-60 is a 4 pin, Nikonos (what the N stands for) strobe. Hence, when purchasing the HW, adapter, make sure you get the one that is setup for Nikonos sinc cords. The exact title of this part is "Heinrichs-Weikamp Optical Digital Adapter for Nikonos Sync Cords (hw.da.o.n)". The strobe comes with tray, arm and sync cord. The sync cord plugs in directly to the HW adapter (no wire splicing), which then velcros onto your camera case (HW provides underwater velcro with your purchase).
Actually the 5-pin is the N type and the 4 pin is the S type.the ones they have in stock now are the 5 pin N type. but yea, it comes with a base tray and handle. The HW adapter comes with various goodies for attaching it to your housing.

@ randini et al.

Also, for those people who already have this setup, here is what I found on my first dive a couple of days ago. I mounted the strobe on the left side, same side as my flash, set my Canon SD800 to underwater mode (which adds red back in) and went shooting. Here is what I found:

- Pictures at 30-50 feet turned out quite well, but you have to be fairly motionless as it takes a few seconds for the camera to fire. A number of times I would press the trigger and by the time it took the picture, I was on top of my subject rather than in front of it. The best pics I got were at my safety stop as I was holding onto a submerged pylon.
My guess is that the delay you encountered might be more related to the camera having a hard time focussing since the internal focus help light is not powerful UW.
- Pictures at 110 feet were way overexposed and too orange. I am thinking this is because I had the underwater mode turned on. The camera is not assuming that you have an external strobe attached and it is adding red in to make up for the loss of that color at depth. However, the strobe adds a ton of natural light, which means the camera has overcompensated for red. In addition, the camera sees nothing but complete darkness at that depth, which means it is going to expose the picture for longer. However, the external strobe adds so much light that it washes out the picture. To compensate for this I am going to experiment on changing the exposure and also switching the strobe to half power.

Keep in mind I don't know that much about cameras and am no expert on how they work, but those are the results I got on my first dive with it. I am going on a night dive tonight and will be able to test plenty of these modifications. I'll let everyone know how they work out!
I'm sure that the UW mode is why your pics came out orange. When using the strobe, my understanding is to keep the camera set on auto WB. When playing around last night in my domly lit living rrom, I was getting some pretty decent exposures by turniing the the EV down a few notches. You might want to try this while leaving the strobe in TTL and see if it helps.

I hope to try all this out in the morning, assuming I don't come down with this cold that started bugging me today, so that rather than talking from theory and what I've read I can actually contribute from experience. I will get back, but by all means let us know how it went for you!

I have been following this thread with some interest, as I have been using a Canon A620 and the Canon housing for the last year. I borrowed a friend's YS-25 with a fiber optic sync cord on a trip to Ginnie Springs last February, but most of my photography has been with available light only (I have found little use for the built-in flash). I use a UK Light Canon for video with the A620.

Our recent trip to Key Largo convinced me that I am ready to move up to an external strobe, so I went ahead and ordered the YS-60 and HW adapter after reading this thread. I expect to have it next week.

When I used the YS-25, I taped the end of the sync cord onto the housing in front of the flash. How is the HW adapter used? Does it just need to be attached to the arms and aimed in the general area of the camera's flash, or does it need to be mounted on the case somehow?

Good question. I'm not sure how far away from the internal flash it can be mounted and still work. I'm mounting mine from the top of the housing, just above the camera's internal flash so that it recieves the light going upward from the flash and I can block off the light going from the flash towards the subject (electricaltape inside the housing) in order to prevent backscater. This way it also does not interfere with the add-on lens I'm mounting on the housing. I guess you just have to play around with it and see what works best for you.

BTW if you liked the Ys25, they are now available on the S&S closeout page for $225. It says "Complete with all packaging", but I don't know if that includes a tray and handle/arm like the YS60 Kit does. But you could easily find out by sending them an email.

jodomonk, reading your last post, am I correct in understanding (because of your reference to using the camera flash diffuser) that you are using the camera's flash along with the external strobe? I assumed that when you mounted an external strobe that you would block the light from the camera flash (leaving a way for it to reach your sync cord or adapter) so that you wouldn't get the backscatter.

Randini, thanks for your detailed post. What is the difference between the YS-60TTL and the YS-25Auto? My understanding was that while the YS-60 is a stronger strobe, it was not made with digital cameras in mind, hence the need for the HW adapter. The YS-25, while made to work with digital cameras, has less power. Is this incorrect? It looks like that the YS-25 would ship with different types of fiber optic sync cords, depending on which camera you have. The Sea & Sea closeout listing does not make any mention of what cable (if any) is included.

So you could get the YS-25 (presumably ready to go for use with a digital camera) for $225 or go with the YS-60/HA adapter combo for $265 and have a stronger stobe? Or am I missing something?:confused:

Also jodomonk, on the camera delay issue, could this partially be a result of using a program mode (UW)? Would you get a faster response shooting in manual where the camera has less to compute when the shutter is pressed? If you were able to use manual focus, this should also speed up the process???

Chad

Digital Diver has a great strobe data base tool LINK. According to it, aside from being notably larger and more powerful, the YS 60 also has a broader light beam (better for wider angle shots), has some manual control (full & 1/2 power) and uses a wired cable connection (will be useful if ever upgrading to a camera with hotshoe and housing w/ bulkhead).

The YS25 is a completely automatic slave strobe. I don't know what comes in the package, nor do I know anything about the strobe. Before buying the YS60 kit I emailed Sea&Sea (the address is on the contact page) and asked what the kit inlcudes. I got a response from them after a few days (I don't remember exactly how many, but it was less than a week) and what I got in the box was what I was told I'd get.

Thanks for the link to Digital Diver, that's a handy reference. Looks like I made the right choice for me. I have a Nikon D80 that I might one day want to use underwater, but I'll try to master the A620 first. There are still times I get a little task loaded and just let the Canon loose on its tether to deal with more pressing issues :11:.

jodomonk, reading your last post, am I correct in understanding (because of your reference to using the camera flash diffuser) that you are using the camera's flash along with the external strobe? I assumed that when you mounted an external strobe that you would block the light from the camera flash (leaving a way for it to reach your sync cord or adapter) so that you wouldn't get the backscatter.
Chad

I definitely was using both the strobe and camera flash at the same time; didn't know you were supposed to block the camera flash! :confused: I'll just turn the camera flash off next time.

I went on a night dive last night and a regular dive at about 35 feet today. Not using the strobe at all gave me the best photos (but this was with the camera flash still working). Still had the issue with the lower right hand corner, but that should go away when I disable the camera flash and switch back to using the strobe.

Switching back to auto from UW mode helped immensely, not nearly as much orangeness to the pics. There was also a definite increase in picture taking speed.

I am also having another issue. When taking pics at a distance of more than about 2 feet, I can barely see the subject at all and I get a bunch of white floaty dots in my pics. This does not happen with video. My amateur explanation is that Seattle waters (being very cold @ about 48 F) have a lot of plankton and other fish food floating around which scatters and reflects light when the flash fires. The video doesn't do this because I don't use a flash when shooting video. I'm going to try disabling the flash (both camera and strobe) when taking distance shots (term used very loosely) next time. Randini, Backscatter, do you think this will fix the problem or do you have any other suggestions?

jodomonk, every dive (well, except for Ginnie Springs - the water is REALLY clear, and even there it could sometimes be an issue) I have tried to use the camera flash, I get the same results. The further away your subject is from the camera, the more junk there is floating in front of you. You don't notice most of it because you're usually focusing on something in particular and you mind ignores the stuff you're not concentrating on. However when the flash (which, in the case of the camera flash, is very close to being in line with the lens) goes off, all those small particles present a surface for the light to bounce back off of.

One of the advantages of an external strobe is that you can position it away from the camera and control (to some degree) the angle the light hits the area you are photographing. If all goes well, the light will still reflect off particles in the water, it will just not be reflected back into the lens where it shows up as white dots.

Please take what I have to say with a grain of salt as all of this is very new to me as well.:D My understanding of how the HW adapter works is that it allows the YS-60 to sync off of the camera flash, much like a fiber optic sync cable would with a newer flash designed to work with digital cameras. So, you have to allow at least some of the flash output to reach the HW adapter in order for your external strobe to fire. You just want to eliminate the flash output going straight from the camera to your subject. This is all an issue for those of using P&S cameras that do not have a flash hotshoe, as there is no way to connect the camera through a hard wire connected to a bulkhead fitting in the housing.

Like I said, I'm still piecing this all together and I trust someone will set me straight if I have some of this wrong.

One of the advantages of an external strobe is that you can position it away from the camera and control (to some degree) the angle the light hits the area you are photographing. If all goes well, the light will still reflect off particles in the water, it will just not be reflected back into the lens where it shows up as white dots.

Please take what I have to say with a grain of salt as all of this is very new to me as well.:D My understanding of how the HW adapter works is that it allows the YS-60 to sync off of the camera flash, much like a fiber optic sync cable would with a newer flash designed to work with digital cameras. So, you have to allow at least some of the flash output to reach the HW adapter in order for your external strobe to fire. You just want to eliminate the flash output going straight from the camera to your subject. This is all an issue for those of using P&S cameras that do not have a flash hotshoe, as there is no way to connect the camera through a hard wire connected to a bulkhead fitting in the housing.

That is the way I understand it also.

Sorry, My post (above) was suppose to be a quote from Backscatter's post.
I do agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom