Where do you get a strobe for a Canon A570IS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, you have to allow at least some of the flash output to reach the HW adapter in order for your external strobe to fire.

Hmmm, I totally knew that. Yeah.... sometimes I write things without thinking.... :klo:

That's the other reason (apart from interfering with the WA lens) I'm mounting the HW adapter on the top of my housing. That way I can block off all the light going out towards the subject I'm trying to shoot and avoid the BS. The water here in central Chile is also very productive and turbid. I've heard that black electrical tape on the inside of the housing is perfect for this, so that's what I've done. I ended up with this cold this weekend so didn't get out to try it.

In macros shots the dark corners on the bottom are usually caused by the lens barrel creating a shadow when the flash is fired. Blocking off the internal flash and using a properly positiond strobe is one way to get around this, another being to back up a bit from your subject and use the zoom.

Just to clarify:

YS-60/S = 4 pin
YS-60/N = 5 pin

These strobes come with a cord. Just order the appropriate Heinrichs Weikamp DA2 adapter. The adapter came with some two-sided velcro tape. You attach it where the flash diffuser would go. My own advice is to cover the camera flash with a piece of underexposed, processed slide film. That prevents stray light from getting out of the housing. If you don't want to do that, Reef has the Inon clear photo system. It's about $20 and basically does the same thing.

The first rule in underwater photography is to get close. If shooting reef scenes, a wide angle lens is a necessity. Most of my photos are taken around 1 ft away (usually 40-60cm). Even the most powerful strobe will have difficulty illuminating anything more than 4 feet away.

When shooting with a strobe, I use cloudy or auto white balance.

For those who want to spend a bit more, the Inon D-2000 is a superb strobe. I like Inon's battery compartment seals better than Sea & Sea, although I've never had a problem with my Sea & Sea strobes.

Attachments

• Rig1.jpg
    Rig1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Rig2.jpg
    Rig2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 47
DesertEagle, I guess that is the HW adapter on the strobe cord in the pictures? Is that its mounted position for use, or is it just sitting there for the photograph?

The velcro tape setup is what my friend's YS-25 had, it actually was a "socket" built into/attached to the velcro that the camera end of the fiber optic sync cord snapped into. There was enough of the velcro to block the camera flash output forward.

Good question. The DA2 was connected to the strobe cord. I hadn't yet used the velcro tape, so you won't see it in those images.

As seen in this next photo, the tape attaches nicely to the housing. Sorry for the lousy picture quality. It was taken with my backup camera without a strobe.

The second photo shows Claire, the U-Dive instructor holding my F31fd. The wide angle lens and strobe make a difference.

91007988.jpg

90278081.jpg

Just in case anyone is curious about what it is or what it looks like, here are some close ups of the Heinrich-Weinkamp DA2 adapter:

Attachments

• IMG_6408.jpg
    IMG_6408.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6406.jpg
    IMG_6406.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6409.jpg
    IMG_6409.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6410.jpg
    IMG_6410.jpg