Where is the Best Overall Diving in the World?? (Big question I know lol)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I'm an instructor, and I'm looking to relocate somewhere.. and my options are, really, anywhere. I've read all the magazines, websites, top-10 lists, etc. But I was hoping to get some first-hand opinions from well-traveled divers here.

I'm most interested in big marine life (Seals/Sea Lions, Dolphins, Whales, Whale Sharks, Sharks, Mantas, Manatees/Dugongs) and healthy corals.

So, with that being said.. Where is the Best Overall Diving in the World??

In North/South America you've got Galapagos, Cocos, Socorro, Hawaii. The Bahamas. The Yucatan Penninsula.

In Africa you've got the Egyptian/Sudanese Red Sea and South Africa.

In Asia you've got Raja Ampat/Komodo, Tubbataha Reef, The Similans, The Maldives.

In Oceania you've got Fiji, Palau, The Great Barrier Reef.

^ These are sort of the standard answers you hear to the question posed. But I'd be really, really interested in hearing what some of you guys have to say.

Thank you very, very much in advance for any input! I really, really do appreciate it!

I can't answer your question but I have a couple of questions for you. Are you looking to relocate and get a job, or are you retiring from work?

If you want to find work then I think that should be a major factor in your decision. Do you speak other languages or will you be communicating in English? If yes, then maybe you should look for a place where English is commonly spoken so that you can act as an instructor.

Also, you should look at the immigration requirements because it can be difficult to get a work permit in many foreign countries.

I don't mean to discourage you because I have met divemasters and instructors from all over the world working in foreign countries, I just want to suggest that you keep some of these things (and probably many more issues) in mind during your search.

Good luck with your quest!

I can't answer your question but I have a couple of questions for you. Are you looking to relocate and get a job, or are you retiring from work?

If you want to find work then I think that should be a major factor in your decision. Do you speak other languages or will you be communicating in English? If yes, then maybe you should look for a place where English is commonly spoken so that you can act as an instructor.

Also, you should look at the immigration requirements because it can be difficult to get a work permit in many foreign countries.

I don't mean to discourage you because I have met divemasters and instructors from all over the world working in foreign countries, I just want to suggest that you keep some of these things (and probably many more issues) in mind during your search.

Good luck with your quest!

No worries. I'm on top of it though. Relocating. American. Speak English, Spanish and French. MBA (specialization in Hotel and Restaurant Management). 3 yrs experience working at an American Dive Shop and Hotel. 2 yrs experience as an actual Dive Instructor, and 1 yrs experience as a DM prior to that.

My opinion - it's nowhere in the Caribbean. You can find some really good diving but very few destinations have most of what's on your list, Maybe Belize since they dive with Whalesharks there but to get a work permit you basically have to buy a business or be Belizean. You rarely see any sharks off Roatan except at the paid feed. And there's only one.

There is no coral to speak of in Socorro plus it's all live aboard diving so employment options are slim. Unless you join the Mexican Navy who has a base there.lol

I would have to say Indonesia just from watching/reading the same stuff you did. Or maybe the Maldives. Even those seem better via live aboard.

One on my bucket list for years has been Wakatobi. But there's no w/s there that I've ever heard of. And it's pretty out there.

I think the problem with Australia is it's so big - you've got the GBR to the north - mostly short liveaboard diving and Ningaloo to the south with the Whaleshark concerntrations.

hth,

Indonesia in IMHO.
With your background of hotel management and speak 3 languages (add mandarin chinese and you really have something) and you have a good chance at finding a job managing a resort or working as a LOB cruise director once you pick up knowledge of the local sites.
Since you like big stuff working as a CD on a LOB doing Raja Ampat/Komodo seems to be the best fit.

Not to be flip but there's a DVD sold on Amazon titled the Worlds Best Dive Destinations. I don't agree with all of his choices but some seem accurate.

No worries. I'm on top of it though. Relocating. American. Speak English, Spanish and French. MBA (specialization in Hotel and Restaurant Management). 3 yrs experience working at an American Dive Shop and Hotel. 2 yrs experience as an actual Dive Instructor, and 1 yrs experience as a DM prior to that.

Egypt and the Red Sea might be a good fit for you. Many Egyptians speak English because the country was under British rule for so long. And the Red Sea is popular with European divers so your French and Spanish would come in handy. Beautiful diving with gorgeous reefs and diverse and plentiful sea creatures.

For "healthy corals," the so-called Coral Triangle. Indonesia, Philippines, PNG. I'm guessing that if relocating is the underlying question, you could rule out PNG, leaving Indonesia and the Phils.

Best overall diving in the world is here in near shore/off-shore Los Angeles/Southern California, where you always have 24/7 & 365 days stand-by Emergency Dept Recompression Chamber Treatment as at least back-up peace-of-mind, solely for civilian recreational diving accidents and casualties, and the long range medevac capability via US Coast Guard helicopter to facilitate immediate transport of hyper-acute & critically grave patients.

(And most important of all, emergency hyperbaric recompression treatment for the full DCI spectrum -from simple DCS type I to AGE near drowning in full arrest- is always an immediate available county government health service here whether you have Primary Medical Insurance Coverage or DAN Accident Insurance -or not).

Best overall diving in the world is here in near shore/off-shore Los
Yeah except it's missing about 1/2 of his list..

I'm most interested in big marine life (Seals/Sea Lions, Dolphins, Whales, Whale Sharks, Sharks, Mantas, Manatees/Dugongs) and healthy corals.

fyi. SoCal isn't the only place in the world with a chamber either....:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom