Where is the Best Place to do a Dive Internship in Thailand??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did Divemaster and Instructor training through Sea Fun Divers (in between Karon and Patong beach). I had a friend who instructed for them about 3 years ago and told me that they were a very professionally run shop. Going off his recommendation, I was very pleased with both the location (private beach) and how well the shop is run. I would recommend them in a heart beat. Talk to Rene he is originally from Philly (US)I believe. Very personable, and they have great coffee!
Have fun!
Dan

Cardboard -- We don't just toss you into a rip tide! The beauty of the internship format is that it starts slowly, with baby steps, if you will. You buld up your experience, doing new things progressively over the time you're with us.

By the time you hit the strong currents, you'll be ready.

Also, in reference to ChrisMan, again, our Aquanauts Value package is only 5,000 pounds and if Miss Cardboard chooses Aquanauts, we can do the full 7-month package for 300 pounds less than Mermaids offers.

Hi Cardboardbox.

I've been here about a month now and have completed my Rescue Diver course. It's like a big family here at Mermaids, and there is always someone willing to help you out with anything you need.

As the guy from Aquanauts says, you don't just get chucked into strong currents straight away, and until you are comfortable, you will always have an experienced diver with you either as dive leader or buddy.

The Hardeep wreck does have quite strong currents, but you don't go there straight away (I did it as part of my deep and wreck adventure dives for AOW and had a very experienced instructor on hand with me and had a lot of fun!

So far I've seen lots of Turtles, Moray Eels, Porcupine Fish, Batfish, Groupers, Nudibranch, Blue Spotted Rays and lots more. So while the Vis is not always great, it does not stop you seeing plenty, and in my opinion it does help provide excellent training grounds. (If you can learn to instruct in Pattaya, you will be a great instructor in a lot of the places with more favourable conditions)

The food on the 4 Mermaids boats is excellent, and most of the interns live in one dedicated Mermaids Intern hotel (The Talay) which is quite adequate and means that there is always a friendly face to talk to or spend free time with. Wireless Internet is also free with Mermaids, so alot of the interns bring a laptop or netbook.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! :)

Chris --

You're on a 7-month internship and they had you do Rescue after only about a month?

At Aquanauts, we take things much more slowly -- you'll not be put into Rescue Diver training until your third month -- so that you build up enough experience and have fully mastered your Open Water and Advanced Open Water skills, including buoyancy, navigation, etc.

We want you fully focused on rescue skills and also look at what you're doing an eye toward what it will be like to be teaching it later.

CB -- Again, the slow approach is the way to go. Drop me a PM or contact through the site at the link below and we can talk more about pace and schedules, etc.

It was my choice to do Rescue. There is no pressure to do anything at Mermaids until you feel ready and capable. I scored 100% in the exam, and have no issues with buoyancy or navigation etc.

Maybe I am not the norm, but I feel comfortable in the water already and had no trouble with the Rescue Course. I think it is a matter of personal ability. I was ready for Rescue, others might not be, and they would obviously be given more time to master other skills first.

I don't mean to hijack this thread into an Aquanauts v Mermaids discussion, and understand that you are obviously trying to sell the Aquanauts product, but the OP wanted an honest view on internships in Thailand, and I have given that from the Mermaids perspective.

I have heard some good and not so good things about Aquanauts, but I am just trying to give an honest answer about Mermaids, and don't feel the need to try and put Aquanauts down without reason. There is no benefit to me in selling an internship here. That said, I am happy with Mermaids pace, and certainly don't feel pressured or out of my depth.

Back
Top Bottom