Where is the best shark dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe tphelps can provide a little more information on exactly what he is looking for.

A natural encounter, a feed, smaller reef sharks, large dangerous tigers or bulls in open water, cage, guaranteed photo opportunities, hammerheads, whalesharks ? A lot of different options have already been posted.

I did the one in Fiji, it was cool, got some good photos but I did note that most of the Fijian divemasters and boat guys were missing fingers and toes.

Id suspect barracudas as the likely culprits..a lot of fishermen in French Polynesia are missing fingers thanks to barras.

silvertip_0196.jpg
Id suspect barracudas as the likely culprits..a lot of fishermen in French Polynesia are missing fingers thanks to barras.

One guy had a fresh one and he said "shark bite". Anyway, like I said, the dive was great. It's about the only time you'll ever see ten bull sharks trying to fit into a garbage can.

The Fijian boat guys also told us to avoid wearing/bringing anything red or "yum yum yellow". I had a red Nikonos SB105 on my camera rig, with a red ready light, and this big silvertip really liked it a lot.

I agree with French Polynesia - Rangiroa and/or Fakarava for schooling black/white tip reef sharks. Bahamas out-islands or Turks and Caicos for close-up natural shark encounters (some spots at West Caicos and French Cay we have frequently had up to 6 or 7 sharks making multiple passes.

I haven't been, but Galapagos and the Solmar V trips look awesome too - a whole different experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom