where is your equipment money going?

Where's most of your equipment money going?

• Bouyancy Control (BC, BP/Wings)

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Gauges (Computers, Watches, SPGs)

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Exposure Control

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • Lights

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Regulators

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Tanks

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Training

Votes: 33 47.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueeyes_austin:
What about cameras, strobes, lens, mounts, etc., etc., etc.? I don't have much intention to replace my perfectly adequate diving kit.

I buy very little gear these days - like none (new DS not withstanding), and haven't gone through any classes for ages. All my casheesh goes to trips and fills.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I buy very little gear these days (new DS not withstanding), and haven't gone through any classes for ages. All my casheesh goes to trips and fills.

---
Ken

I've pretty much replaced everthing except my reg and computer in the last five years. Broke my old mask, holes in the old wetsuit, holes in the old BCD bladder and fins that were just getting too soft. Plus two spear guns, lots of gas and tanks rentals. And hoses and o rings for regs.

Hi,

Just lately, exposure control ... just bought drysuits, and having a good bonus + being short&round (read: custom), bought the White's Catalyst Quadflex.

The good part about spending money is that my wife dives too, so we don't need to worry justifying scuba purchases, just being able to afford two of everything ;-).

After that, the biggies recently have been
= Tanks (4 Al80s for local diving)
= Computers (added a pair of Suunto Mosquitos to the kit during vacation
when our normal computers died ... not the way I wanted
to get to redundancy, but we are there now!)
= Training [wreck (learn reels, lights, reconfigure gear), drysuit]
= Masks (+ optics: guage readers for aging me, prescription for the buddy)

We are doing our part to keep the industry solvent!

Cheers,
Walter

Andy,

I can't fully participate as I am not done buying gear (as if I would ever really be DONE buying gear). I have 7 regulator sets, 3 tanks, 3 wetsuits, 8 reels or spools, 3 masks, 2 sets of fins, 2 computers, 1 plate and wing for singles, 1 plate and wing for doubles, and lots of miscellaneous gear, and instruction through full cave and decompression with 100% O2.

I still have yet to buy double tanks (I rent for the time being) and a dry suit. These are on my list, but until the rich uncle I don't know I have dies, or I win the lottery, I just have to wait until I can save the money to buy these things. About the only good thing I can say about this is all of my dive gear and training has been paid for up front, no credit cards. At least I only pay the actual price for the stuff, not any additional interest.

Mark Vlahos

H2Andy:
girly photogarphy stuff doesn't count

(actually, it's not really diving equipment, since it doesn't help you actually
dive...it's more like an activity which you carry out while under water)

^
|
|----------------- let the flames begin

Here's a flame for you....i have over $30 000 worth of girlie photo stuff.
Haven't taken course since 99, bought a BCD the other week for $350, boughts some fins a few years back, and suit at some point. So i would say i spend on average maybe $100 every two years on scuba gear. So far this year, $12 000 on undwerwater video equipment.
So you tell me where most of my money goes....and yes i agree with webjr, Inusrance racketeers as welll!

Training mostly for me. I've got to get tanks yet, and I'll see how the old wet suit holds up for a wreck dive or two. Some guys tell me they freeze to death, others say that they are fine with a wetsuit.

I asked my dive shop owner if a dry suit diver up here isn't the northern equivalent of a warm water weenie. Fortunately, he couldn't swing his weigh belt fast enough to tag me....:D

Exposure gear has it due to wide variety of diving conditions.

Exposure gear 22% (includes 3mm shorty, 3mm full, 5mm full, 3mm hood, 7mm semidry with 7mm hood, gloves & 2 types of boots.)
Camera 20%
Computer 15%
BCs 15% (1 conventional, 1 rear inflate)
Training 8% (just last few years - checkout dives not included as training cost.)
Regs 7%
Lights 5% (low because my canister light is DIY)
Accessories 5% (mask, knife, spools, clips SMB)
Fins 3%

This only includes gear I have in regular use.

Unfortunately right now all of my scuba money period is going to mortgage and bills. I may have to fake my own death and sneak off to live on a beach somewhere...

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom