Where should i dive?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aegir

Reaction score
I may be taking a diving holiday in a few months time. This is exciting for me since i have only dived in the UK before.
Has anyone dived palau or Papua New Guinea? Infact it would be great if some of you people could tell me where your favourite dive destinations are and why. If you could rate them out of 10 that would be good too :thumb:

Scuba in Aruba! The weather in Aruba is 82 year round. There is always a wind blowing. The folks that live there call it "One happy Island" and it is. All of the Dive shops are good there, they will pick you up at your hotel and drop you off. They all offer discount packages for multiple dives. If you have your own equipment (other than tanks and weights) you can get unlimited boat diving for a week for about $250 US. There are plenty of great places to eat and there are many floor shows. There is great reef diving, great wrecks too. Many of the wrecks are under 70 feet. The Antilla is a popular wreck, is 450 feet long, lays on it side in 65 feet of water. (part of the mast sticks out, it is also a popular snorkel site) I love Aruba!

I have not dove the world so far but, I have to vote for Bonaire. It’s the next door neighbor to Aruba. It’s a small island who’s major industry is dive travel so they are very pro diver. It is regularly rated as the top dive location in the Caribbean by many dive magazines. If you are looking for nightlife, it’s not for you, but if you want to dive a lot on your own schedule, then it’s the place. It should be fairly easy to get there from Europe, as they are an old Dutch colony and KLM airlines flies there regularly. It is possibly the easiest diving in the world. Walk from your room to the on site dive shop, pick up a tank and drop off into the water. Unlimited shore diving packages cost $100 USD (weights, belt and tanks for 6 days). Shallow reef dives to 100+ ft wreck dives are accessible from shore. I have been there 2 years in a row and am planning on going back in late July. I have a lot of web links if you want them. Also, the Florida Keys are quite good as well.

Where to dive???? where there is water!!!!! I have not had the privilage to dive on your side( desire to dive sira Lanka) but have on this side been Florida, Bahamas, Florida Keys, Belieze, Mexico, Carribian Islands, And the BEST GRAND CAYMANS!! if you can get there in this himmis. go no wher else. It is the best, in all respects for this side of the world. DO NOT dive west end JUNK but dive east end of Grand Cayman Island

Aegir, I still vote for the Red Sea. It is just so beautiful under the water there...go down to Safaga, which is less crowded than Hurghada or Sharm el Sheikh. First of all, it is not that far away, so no jet lag, which is always a factor if you go away for less than say, three weeks. The time in Egypt is GMT-2, so there is no big deal about acclimatizing to another time zone.

If you go around May, it won't be crowded at all, or August, but in August you might get heat stroke on land!

gozu

A Good alternative for all the well know diving destinations is MADEIRA (dive)Paradise in the Atlantic Ocean.

My husband dived Papau New Guinea twice & loved it! Morning Star (independant) & Star Dancer (Peter Hughes) were the live aboards he went with. He's told me some great (and adveture filled) stories and we plan on going together in 2002. The trip getting there can be taxing (especially lugging all your equipment through several airports) however, once you arrive it's wonderful! (That's from the Hubby's mouth)!

Back
Top Bottom