Where should I go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasondcrawford:
Most of the suggestions seem to be in the Caribbean... Not having much personal experience, I always imagined the greatest spots to be in Thailand and Australia's GBR. Any reason these aren't on anyone's top lists other than the expense?

Also, as far as the Caribbean destinations go, do some of those places have cooler 'big stuff' to look at than others, or is it all pretty comparable? I'd like to see sharks, or at least some big fish, maybe an octopus or two...

The only place I HAVE been is off the Big-Island of Hawaii (Kona), and in Maui (Molokini) and liked those a lot, but the coral wasn't as colorful as I had hoped and the fish, although plentiful, weren't as large as I had hoped. (BUT, it was freakin awsome anyways :D !)

You could go to Nassau and be guaranteed to see Caribbean reef sharks or San Salvador Bahamas and see Hammerheads...saw them on every dive, only place in the Caribbean they are that plentiful.:D

Not exactly sure what you're looking for but here are some observations/suggestions.

First of all although Bonaire is great for corals/soft coral life, it's generally known as a coral/macro destination. There is the occasional shark spotting, recently a pod of dolphins in the channel between the islands, but about the only reliable "big stuff" is the tarpon feeding in the lights at Capt' Don's resort at night. Also to get to Bonaire from here, you're basically looking at an overnite in Houston (or now Newark) or a red-eye flight with a really long layover in San Juan. And avoid San Juan if at all possible, there's a lot of luggage theft there.

Cayman might be a better option, there's generally turtles on the North side, and a higher likelihood of seeing sharks feeding up the wall. And you'll always get mobbed by big Stingrays at Stingray City - in 15' of water so it's a long, easy dive also. And there's also tarpon there, usually you'll see Eagle Rays as well. And just millions of beautiful tropical fish and soft corals and huge sponges. And the water is so clear it's unbelievable, it makes Maui look average.

Downside to Cayman is that some of the really good dives start around 80-90' and drop down the wall. But there's also shallower dives and some of the operators only do them since they get a lot of cruise-ship divers there. So at your skill level, you'll still see some pretty amazing stuff. One of our best dives was Aquarium, laying on the bottom I was at 42' - watching little cleaner shrimp preen my cuticles. On AA, you can get there from here the same day although you leave pretty early in the morning and connect through Dallas and Miami.

If you want to see "big stuff" w/o spending the time to go to the South Pacific or Australia - in a weeks time, you'd burn up 3-4 days traveling each way, there's the Caribbean liveaboard option. We just returned from Cay Sal aboard the Nekton Pilot, I personally dove with as many as 16 sharks simultaneously one morning at a site called Big Hole. It wasn't the shark feeding - that was later in the week - but a dive site near there where they congregate. I have video of them where I'm as close as 2-3' away - check out my profile pic - On other dives on that trip, we dove with turtles(multiple times) got up close and personal with two large Stingrays, had two remoras basically try to molest us and saw tons of fish. And a couple days later we did the shark feed, not my kind of thing especially, but it was pretty exciting.

Downside of the trip is that some of the sites have lots of current, the vis isn't always stellar so good navigation skills are really important and you'd have to sit out a couple of the drift dives as they go from deep to deeper. Otoh, we also swam with a turtle and a ray at one site in 15' of water. And they also go to a site where the whole dive profile for the day is in 20-30' of water with a swimthrough that takes you into the center of a cay in about 6' of water. So you get a good range of different experiences. The typical diver on a Nekton boat is more experienced so they don't typically put a DM in the water with you, but they are available if you ask. Having said that, on our trip there was also a 12yr. old who certified on the boat. It's really a dive trip though, you can do 4-5 dives per day safely, but it's not really an "ultimate trip", the boat while roomy and comfortable is not exactly plush. The food is outstanding though, and the crew is very accommodating and friendly. It's something I'd recommend you do later when you have more experience and can enjoy it fully.

Another option might be the Virgin Islands, both U.S. and British. We spent a week on Virgin Gorda last April with a stopover in St. Thomas. The diving is good - not as good as Cayman - but pretty good, you'll see nurse sharks, turtles, lobster, barracuda and lots of fish in some areas. Also schools of bigger pelagics(tarpon etc.) if that's your thing. We did a couple of easy, shallow warmup dives on St. Thomas before going over to VG. We didn't see anything exceptional but the sealife covered the bottom. Good buoyancy skills were needed as in some areas there was nothing but coral cover.

The vis is kind of hit and miss there. One good dive is the Rhone, the BVI's signature wreck. The front is about 70' but the back - and to me more interesting half - is only in 45'. There's lots of soft corals and fans everywhere. It's done from either Tortola, Virgin Gorda or even St. Thomas as a day trip. The reason I'd suggest BVI is that in a week of diving, the Rhone was by far our deepest dive, most were in 50' or less including 4 or 5 good dives in 40' or less. I did one dive where I swam in thousands of baitfish in 20' of water while the big fish came in for lunch, it's was an experience like you see Blue Planet. So for someone of your skill level it might be a good alternative.

Downside is that you'll probably have to overnite both ways in St. Thomas and take a ferry over to the BVI's. The upside of that though is that you have no no-fly restrictions when going between the islands. We dove until Friday afternoon and then ferried over to St. Thomas on Saturday for flights home Sun. morning.
I've also heard the best diving in the USVI's is on St. Croix, but I've not been there. There is a direct flight from here that gets you there around 9PM after flying all day.

hth, join us at one of our AZScuba meetings as some of the regulars went to the BVI's and we've done a lot of diving elsewhere. Also we maintain our group forum here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=458

P.S. Just saw your post, a group of us are planning to go to San Carlos from here to see the Hammerhead migration in Oct. There's thousands of them. You're welcome to join us, it's a long weekend trip. But know that you have to get deep under them and they're sometimes aggressive. Personally not the type of shark I get too close to.

Love the suggestions. While i was doing more of my own research on the matter, I came across this link.. somewhere on these forums I belive

http://www.scubadiving.com/community/top_100/top_100:_2006_readers'_choice_awards/1/

They took about ten catagories on which you could rate dive sites (wrecks, walls, small animals, large animals, non-diving things etc.) and had a couple thousand expert divers vote their opinions. Very good, just wanted to pass it along to you all. One thing that stuck out to me... Galopogos Islands. Anyone have any experience there?

Would under no circumstances categorize the Galapagos as a destination appropriate for a new diver.

being new divers, I would suggest Caribbean area for several reasons - cost being a big one. Diving in Pacific region is expensive and you are looking at 1-2 days each way on travel. Also, many of the Pacific dive destinations are more advanced (such as raging current, deep depths, etc) and you are ready for that challenge yet. You should think about what is going to advance your diving skills and be enjoyable at the same time. I would stay away from trips right now to Palau or GB reef or even Fiji due to the cost/travel time and the fact you won't enjoy it as much as if you wait until you get more experience. Hawaii might be the only exception to Pacific - it is expensive but most of the diving is easy.
So my 2 cents:
Check out Caribbean - Bonaire and Belize for land-based, and if you are interested in a liveaboard trip check out the Nekton for Belize or Bahamas or Caymans. Check out Hawaii for Pacific.

I would recommend Cozumel but several friends have recently returned from there and say the hurricane damage is way beyond what they expected and diving was not as good as before.

robint

First off,thanks for all the advice. You folks have mentioned things that hadn't crossed my mind before (I'm not trained to think of those things yet!). I understand that currents could be very unfriendly to a beginning diver, and that's something I don't want to mess with at this point, but I don't understand depth all that much. The deepest I've gone is about 70 feet, but I don't understand how going down an extra 30 feet would make it a more difficult dive not appropriate for beginners. I know that around 100 feet is when you run the risk of getting 'narked', but aside from that, what makes deeper=harder? Is it more than monitoring the quicker-use of your air and your more limited time allowed by dive-tables?

jasondcrawford:
You folks have mentioned things that hadn't crossed my mind before (I'm not trained to think of those things yet!). I understand that currents could be very unfriendly to a beginning diver, and that's something I don't want to mess with at this point, but I don't understand depth all that much. The deepest I've gone is about 70 feet, but I don't understand how going down an extra 30 feet would make it a more difficult dive not appropriate for beginners. I know that around 100 feet is when you run the risk of getting 'narked', but aside from that, what makes deeper=harder? Is it more than monitoring the quicker-use of your air and your more limited time allowed by dive-tables?

It is the combination of multiple factors that is the issue.

You can prepare yourself, both at home with prepaerative study as well as with a frank conversation with your DM- you can prepare yourself to understand and cope with 1 challenge at a time.

It's when you start combining them. This results in task loading which is a doorway to panic and a bad situation.

Depth + Current + Back Rolls = No big deal (if you've tried each one before)

That was the point of my first post in this thread.

Depth has its issues. Sure: narcosis, bottom time issues, slow ascents, air usage... all of that. No, depth in and of itself is not "harder".

Thought about equipment failure at depth? It's a lot tougher to do an OOA ascent from 90' than it is from 40'. And it's just as hard to buddy-breathe from 90' with your buddy while trying to maintain a safe acent rate when you've never done it in a panic situation - assuming you're both calm and conscious. A buddy of mine once had a diver from another group swim over and grab his primary reg out of his mouth when they had an OOA situation. Try dealing with that at 90'. That's also part of the reason that most deep divers carry redundant/backup air supplies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom