Where to buy Ikelite ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svm

Reaction score
Hi,

we are coming from Europe to Florida in a few months. Since we just bought a new CANON EOS 500D rebel, we also need a new housing from Ikelite and strobe. We planned to buy this in Florida to avoid paying taxes. Unfortunately there seems to be no way of reimbursement of sales tax when you export from the US, only when shipping to another state, you don't have to pay tax.

Therefor we are looking for a good, dependable camera shop online, based outside Florida, where we can order our equipement and have it delivered to our hotel in Florida.

What do you recommend ?

You can buy direct from Ikelite. I use Helixcameras out of Chicago because they are a little cheaper. Probably one of the best is Reef Photo and Video, a little more expensive but outstanding professional advice. There are many, many,many more.

Most online retailers are going to be skittish when it comes to shipping to a hotel room. As much as that might be a real situation for you, its also the "M.O." for a fairly common scam.

B&H for example, has an explicit policy of not shipping to hotels:
* We do not ship to hotels, motels or resorts.
I think you'll find that's a standard shipping restriction with most retailers, esp. those in the camera/video business.

Best of luck.

If you are diving in Florida, have B&H or Helix ship to the dive shop that you will be using. That way no worries.
Bill

Scubatoys.com also sells Ikelite and has excellent customer service and competitive pricing.

They have treated me very well. :)

If you are diving in Florida, have B&H or Helix ship to the dive shop that you will be using. That way no worries.
Bill
If he does that, he'll have to pay sales tax which he's trying to avoid (since it's apparently difficult to get that back when he flies home). In that case, my advice would be to contact Reef Photo; they are located in Ft. Lauderdale between the beach and the intercoastal.

Where, exactly, are you going in Florida? Maybe someone here lives nearby and will let you ship to their house?

If he does that, he'll have to pay sales tax which he's trying to avoid (since it's apparently difficult to get that back when he flies home). In that case, my advice would be to contact Reef Photo; they are located in Ft. Lauderdale between the beach and the intercoastal.
Maybe I'm missing something but if he is in Florida and buys in Florida, won't he have to pay Florida Sales tax?

We planned to buy this in Florida to avoid paying taxes. Unfortunately there seems to be no way of reimbursement of sales tax when you export from the US, only when shipping to another state, you don't have to pay tax.

svm,

I'm going to recommend contacting either Mike Luzansky at H2OPhotoPros, Russ Sanlon at BackScatter or Joe Holley at Marine Visions. All three of them participate on Scubaboard and are very reputable dealers. As is B&H - unfortunate about their policy. You might try Adorama in NYC also.

Maybe I'm missing something but if he is in Florida and buys in Florida, won't he have to pay Florida Sales tax?
What I meant to say (and obviously wasn't very clear) was that, if you have to pay the Fla. tax anyway, you might as well do business with someone who will take good care of you.

Thank you guys for the info. I contacted all the shops and am now waiting for replies. After all, if I can save 150$ this way, that means 2 extra days of diving. And that is why we do it, not ?

See you at the waterfront maybe:crafty:

Sabine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom