where to buy prescription dive mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yomar:
I know this is an old thread but...

I own a scubapro microframe single-lens mask and I am near sighted. I don't wear contacts when diving (which makes the experience less enjoyable). But since my head always aches after the second dive, I figured I should buy an RX mask or wear contacts.

I've read another thread about contacts vs prescription lenses and most SB members use contacts. But a doctor-friend of mine told me that if I wear contacts and my mask gets flooded, i could risk getting an infection. I'm not really concerned about losing my contacts underwater. I"m more concerned about getting my eyes infected.

A friend told me to just have the LDS replace the lenses on my mask with prescription lenses. So I went to scubaworld makati, but they told me they couldn't do anything with my mask as it was single-lens. They could only replace the lenses of double-lens masks. They suggested that I buy TUSA because they have all the lenses available for that brand.

If you were in my place, what would you do:
(a) sell my mask and buy a new one with prescription lenses
(b) buy disposable contact lenses

Thanks in advance for your replies!!

Hi Yomar,

no offense to your friend, but is he a diver or even a swimmer? The risk of an eye infection is miniscule if you wear contacts in water. I've been using my contacts in water for 10 years now and not once have I gotten an infection due to them. Just clean them and you'll be fine.

Seriously, If you open your eyes in the water the most concern would be losing them! When I do mask clearing exercises I usually squint, which keeps them in place.

It's not worth my money to get a prescription mask since my grade changes every 2-3 years. How often does yours change?

I'd choose option b.

Sea-Vision USA

chip104:
Hi Yomar,

no offense to your friend, but is he a diver or even a swimmer? The risk of an eye infection is miniscule if you wear contacts in water. I've been using my contacts in water for 10 years now and not once have I gotten an infection due to them. Just clean them and you'll be fine.

Seriously, If you open your eyes in the water the most concern would be losing them! When I do mask clearing exercises I usually squint, which keeps them in place.

It's not worth my money to get a prescription mask since my grade changes every 2-3 years. How often does yours change?

I'd choose option b.

You're right about grade changes, chip. Since I'll be reviewing for the next 9mos, it's highly likely that my grade will increase. Because of this, I've decided to buy soft, one-day contact lenses. I'll just close my eyes or squint whenever my mask floods and I need to clear it. When I lose the lenses, it won't hurt much because the dailies cost around Php30 only. About the infection, thanks for your input. Now I'll be less worried.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom