Where to buy steel grommets for a harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some of the grommet sets come with a cheap tube cutter and a punch/die set for setting the grommets. Chuck up the tube cutter in a drill, heat the tube with a propane torch and the hot tube will both accurately cut and seal the webbing for a grommet. Problem is, you may come to regret the grommet. It takes up a lot of the bolt's usable range, often too much.

Another couple of tips I would suggest:
  • Don't forget to use tube webbing sleeves over the harness webbing everywhere it passes through a slot in the plate. Use one long piece in the center for the top (where you're making your hole), and a short piece on each side at the bottom. The sleeves slow down wear on the webbing quite a bit.
  • Don't leave out the belt slide stoppers at the bottom slots. These keep the shoulder straps from slipping loose.

You may want to hold off on putting the tubing webbing and belt slides at the bottom slots until you've done a few dives and are satisfied with the way it fits, since it's harder to adjust the harness after you put these on.

I agree with the others that the grommet could be left out. Just put the tube webbing on and melt the hole through the whole thing, it will last years and years.

Find a sail maker/marine canvas shop....They'll do it for you.......

no need to groment. Just use soldering iron or hot screw driver to melt a hole. It won't fray because that area is well protected by the plate and the wing. I went from a webbing with groment to webbing without, I would continie to avoid the gromet.

I tried putting some of the grommets i just bought into some 1" webbing tonight and the grommets worked very well. The cutter struggled to cut the webbing. I got through it however. I would recommend them from Sailrite.

I tried putting some of the grommets i just bought into some 1" webbing tonight and the grommets worked very well. The cutter struggled to cut the webbing. I got through it however. I would recommend them from Sailrite.

For the next one, melt the hole first then pop the grommet through... the cutter will be unnecessary at that point. Of course, as others have said, the grommet is too, but it probably won't hurt to continue using them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom