Where to dive in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessyg

New
Reaction score
We are traveling to Hawaii next week via NCL Pride of America. We can't decide where to dive between The Big Island(Kona Side), Maui or Kauai. We would like to choose 2 out of the 3. Any recommendations? How are each of the islands? What do you see? What are your favorites?

I can only speak for Oahu. I do know, if you want a special treat (no guarantees of course) that we have a monk seal hanging out on china wall of the south shore of Oahu. There are only about 1500 of them left in the wild and they are a rare sighting indeed. We have seen the same female though the 5 days out of the last 7 along the wall while drift diving the spitting caves section of china wall. I have some pictures of her in my gallery. I wish she would stay around but alas I know she will move on till next year.

Definitely dive in Maui. You'll likely either go to Molokini or Lanai for your Maui dive choices, and both are excellent choices. Molokini is like diving in an aquarium with calm, clear water and lots of marine life. Lanai charters usually involve going to one of the Cathedrals, both of which are spectacular. Those are lava tubes that you can swim through and see the light from above streaming through the openings in the top...gorgeous.

I've dove in Kona and Maui would do either again. I haven't dove in Kauai and have always heard there is some decent diving, but that viz isn't nearly as good due to more runoff there. (Much older geologically than the others.)

If I was making this choice I'd also look at what my sightseeing opportunities are on each island in the time available, there are so many interesting things above water I would want to work that into the decision.

We dove Molokini Crater on Maui and offshore near the Hilton Waikaloa on the Kona Coast and they were awesome dives. In my youth, I was stationed at Pearl for several years and my favorites were the toilet bowl side of Hanauma Bay and a place we called Portlock on the West side of Koko head in the middle of a subdivision. I think it is close to China Wall that RockJock3 is talking about. In the winter, just about anything on the leeward side of any of the islands is good.

Definately the Big Island. I've never done Molokini on Maui, but the diving on the Big Island is spectacular.

I've dove both Maui and Oahu and Maui is much better than Oahu as far as reef life. On both you can get away with just doing shore dives if you are interested in saving a few bucks. My wife and I took a dive charter on Maui Ed Robinson's and it was a great Charter took us out to Molokini and another dive site each time. If you are headed to Maui definitely take a shore dive off of Old Airport Beach, it has just about as much coral and variety as Molokini, but only costs you the price of a tank rental. If you are going to shore dive in Oahu definitely go to Makaha Caverns, I would suggest the north side of them. It's too bad you are going in the winter as the north and east shore are off limits to divers due to the enormous waves. If you ever make it back there during the summer check out Sharks Cove and Hale'iwa Trench is a good dive for a deeper dive.

well maybe i dove in the wrong place in kona, but i just got back from there and i didn't think the diving was that spectacular. there wasn't much color, everything was a sort of greenish-yellowish hue, with not much else. we did see some cool eels, and the manta dive was amazing, but besides that i would say it was 'eh'. the last time i dove maui, i remember being much more impressed. who knows, maybe i'm just spoiled after getting back from fiji :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom