Where to dive in Hawai'i?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepexposuregirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

Was hoping to get some input on diving in hawaii. We are planning a trip this winter, and in researching online, it seems like the best places would be off the Kona coast on the big island (mantas?), Oahu for some good wreck diving, and then Maui for good reefs. Can someone provide more detail or input?

We only have an opportunity to do 1-2 islands maximum, and want the best combination of wrecks and awesome walls/reefs with an abundance of marine life. Would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks!

Kona has the mantas, the lava tubes, the viz and the healthiest reefs I've seen between diving Oahu, Maui and Kona. Maui's got OK reefs, but in the limited diving I've done there (Molokini, 4 sites on Lanai and a few onshore sites on Maui) the reefs didn't match Kona's. The wreck dives at both Oahu and Maui are something Kona really doesn't offer.

I personally am a really big fan of Kauai & the forbidden isle. Not that I don't love the diving on Maui. Defiantly lots to offer here on Maui with Lanai, Molokini and good shore diving all right here.

Never dove the big island so can't say much there but I here that it's awesome.... I've equally heard that the Manta show gets crowded with divers but, I'm no expert and I can't speak from experience.

No matta which island you choose brah!!! They all the kine....:D

Thanks to both of you for the good information. I think we will do the Kona coast first, and then head to Oahu for some wreck diving if time permits.

Steve-
I'll contact you after we book our flights and see if we can coordinate with your operation on 3-4 days of diving and at least one night dive.

This is a late reply, but I'd highly recommend the Night Manta dive if you can fit it into your schedule while in Kona. You can expect that there will probably be a lot of divers in the water, but this is a situation where "more" may be better, because it results in more flashlights to attract the mantas... our family (wife and I, 3 kids) did it in Dec 2007 and it was awesome!

My wife describes it as not just an unforgetable dive, but a memorable life experience. We'll probably drive over to Kona again in a couple months and do it again.

Anyway, have fun on your trip!

I have only had the pleasure of visiting one island, Kauai, but I would highly recommend fitting it into your trip! It's the less *touristy* of all the islands, and has jungles, mountains, and reefs that are beyond imagination.

If you do happen to stop in Kauai, hit up Larsen's beach (my profile pic) for huge spanses of beach with nobody but you there, and dive at Tunnels - a GREAT shore dive of lava tunnels (hence the name)! And don't miss the Napali coast catamaran trip. There are lots of shore dives in Kauai, and those can save some serious cash on a very expensive destination!

You're gonna be blown away!!

(btw - my divemaster recommends Maui, the whole team goes at least once a year!)

Back
Top Bottom