Where to dive in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hit Oahu at least once a year. Waikiki is not as relaxing as the other islands, (or anywhere else on Oahu) but it is easy of you just want diving. Your girl can go shopping and you can go diving. Most of the dive shops will pick you up from Waikiki hotels. I normally dive with Aquazone whenever I'm there. And you can save some money coz you don't need to rent a car unless you want to take off for the day and check out the rest of the island. if you haven't been there before, make sure you do check out the rest of the island. But you can rent a car for the day and turn it back in when your done. No matter what, you can't go wrong going to any of the islands. Just make sure you spare some time to check out the sunsets. :)

Looks like there is a good case for the big Island too. I guess I'll have to do some more research and decide on one. I'm guessing I'll make return trips in the future, so whichever I don't make this time I'll do next. It doesn't help that I am very indecisive.

Thanks to everyone for the info they have provided. My girlfriend just got approval to take the trip, but could only get 5 days off rather than 6 which means we are going to the big island which had a Saturday award flight rather than Maui which had a Friday which required a 6th day. I've tentatively booked accommodation at the hilton Waikola village and the Marriott Waikola resort. I'd rather move around and see more of the island so I'll probably change one of those.

Questions:

I'm planning to get a rental car, but is that really necessary or do dive shops and tours pick up from the hotels? Do you recommend spending a day driving around the island to get to see more of it? presumably I'd need one to get from one to another if I switch hotels anyways. I just don't want to get there and have it sit and pay for parking and not use it.

Any areas that might have better weather than another on the big Island the first week and a half of December? I just targeted Kina/Waikola because that is where we fly into, but if there are better areas I'm happy to move.

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot.

The best diving and most predictable large critter interactions are on the Big Island, and there's plenty to do for non-divers.

Thanks to everyone for the info they have provided. My girlfriend just got approval to take the trip, but could only get 5 days off rather than 6 which means we are going to the big island which had a Saturday award flight rather than Maui which had a Friday which required a 6th day. I've tentatively booked accommodation at the hilton Waikola village and the Marriott Waikola resort. I'd rather move around and see more of the island so I'll probably change one of those.

Questions:

I'm planning to get a rental car, but is that really necessary or do dive shops and tours pick up from the hotels? Do you recommend spending a day driving around the island to get to see more of it? presumably I'd need one to get from one to another if I switch hotels anyways. I just don't want to get there and have it sit and pay for parking and not use it.

Any areas that might have better weather than another on the big Island the first week and a half of December? I just targeted Kina/Waikola because that is where we fly into, but if there are better areas I'm happy to move.

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot.
Rent a car, the Hilton is a long ways from Kona. 30 minutes with good traffic.
Book you manta dive twice. Once in the beginning of your trip and once at the end. If you are skunked the first night chances are good you won't be the second time. Worst case- you get to see the mantas twice!

Driving around the island is a day long adventure. We did it and enjoyed it.

You pretty much gotta have a car unless you intend to dive with the operator based out of the Hilton and don't want to leave the resort. You're probably looking at $60 minimum each direction to get two of you to and from the airport, any other island exploring would run substantially more than that by cab. There is essentially no regularly scheduled public transportation here. The dive operators in Kailua don't pick up in the Waikoloa area, most don't legally pick up in Kona.

Weather-wise, the Kona/South Kohala area is amongst the top in the state year round if you want sun and lack of rain. You picked right.

Do get a car. I believe there is a concession at the Hilton Waikoloa so you could get the car for only part of your stay if you want to economize. Also there are some rules about transacting business at Honokohau harbor so (at least with Kona Honu) you have to go by the shop. If your first dive is a 2 tank AM dive that means day before.

Do not wait to book your car. There was a serious shortage of cars on the island last December.

Reserve a car, but when you arrive check at the hotel for a car before you pick it up. Cars at the hotel (at least Hertz at the Royal Kona Resort) are half the price as at the airport.

Blue Wilderness Dive Adventures in Waikoloa (not part of any hotels) will pick you up and drop you off. They dive about 15 different sites off the Kohala Coast, ( North and South of the Hilton) Great shop, great crew, uncrowded dives. Turtle cleaning stations, White tip reef sharks, garden eels, lots of Moray eels, tons of fish and reefs that aren't hammered by the cattle boats in Kona. You will however have to drive to Kona to have a better chance of seeing Mantas on the night dive. Happy Diving!!

Thanks, this is all very good info. I'll definitely get a car, but check with the hotels first to see if they have a better rate than the airport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom