Where to dive to see Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gisle once bubbled...

Thanks Rick. I've got many hours of footage from the same Sipadan-trip. Wanna to see some barracudas?

A big school of barracuda, Sipadan
Great!! Your site is very very nice...
One of my goals is to someday capture the fishlife in our little corner of the Gulf of Mexico on video.. hard to do because of the few days with adequate visibility for that kind of filming.
Rick

I have 3 recommendations for you:

1) Sipadan Island off the East coast of Borneo
2) Sipadan Island off the East coast of Borneo
and last but not least
3) Sipadan Island off the East coast of Borneo

If you go to Sipadan Island you will see so many turtles in the first 2-3 days that you will become bored with them. Sometimes it seems like they are so numerous they get in your way. They are so accustomed to divers (no touching or riding allowed) that they are absotulely fearless and on occasion I have had to yield to an oncoming turtle because he (or she) figured they had the right of way. I have seen turtles on Guam, Palau,Yap, Hawaii, Christmas Island, Okinawa and Sangalaki but no where have I seen them like on Sipadan. We were even lucky enough to to have the voyeuristic opportunity to observe 2 turtles in "the act".

Here is a picture I took on Sipadan of a turtle balancing on a small coral head while taking a "siesta".

And the good thing about Sipadan is after you get tired of the turtles there is a multitude of other things to see also.

Rickg

I agree with you rickg

After a few days on Sipadan you don't pay that much attention to all the turtles anymore - you get spoilt with great experiences

I've seen about 1 turtle every 2 dives in West Palm. Not the best frequency, but still pretty good for NE FL.

West Palm is a pretty nice place to dive. If I was travelling from Canada, I think I would go down to the FL Keys.

Peter Doege

The coast of Queensland, Australia. Anywhere on Great Barrier Reef (Lady Musgrave Island specifically) or Stradbroke Island in Moreton Bay.

Gisle once bubbled...
Hi Bubble Boy

Wanna see hundreds of turtles? Go to Sipadan :rolleyes:

Photo

Video clip

My dream is to see so many turtles that I take them for granted (no just kidding). They are my favorite marine creature - but alas I've never seen one (except on TV). I'm going to the Virgin islands in 2 more weeks - maybe I'll see one?

DiverBuoy,

We routinely saw 20-30 turtles per dive and they would sometimes allow you to get almost close enough to kiss them. The turtles are totally accustomed to divers and, unlike most other locations, almost never flee the area when divers arrive. It is just amazing how many turtle you can see there and how close you can get to the turtles.

Rickg

I didn't have to do anything more than get out of my rental car on the North Shore of Oahu to see turtles. Then I did get to them on teh two dives i did east of Waikiki.

Okay, maybe not the kind you're asking about...but
if you want to see turtles, why not go to Grand Cayman. They have a turtle farm there & if you go at the right time, you may even be able to release one! Was there at the end of October & saw at least one on every dive I went on.

Cindy
:sunnyday:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom