where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taz22 once bubbled...

I don't know of anyone that would want to set foot on a charter boat that doesn't have at least a DM on board. In case of emergency what would happen and DM is the minimum level you need to have personal liability insurance in the scuba industry. :)

I do think we're in agreement here. But, as far as I can find there are no Federal or Provincial regulations specific to a dive charter. Federal regulations cover charter vessels, class them as commercial passenger carrying vessels. Liability insurance required for a charter vessel is $350,000 per passenger capacity and that's the limit you can claim.
If the charter boat only transports you too the dive site and back, does not provide gear and does not get in the water with you, guide you to the wreck, etc, then I think you would have a hard time establishing any liability for any scuba related incident. If a cab drove you to a bar and you paid him to wait outside while you partied for an hour, you got hurt in the bar, or on the sidewalk outside the bar, what would he be liable for? IF he is a DM or higher, then he will be assumed to be in charge of the dive and may face liability issues. (I was to an instructors wedding last summer. He had a guest who started suiting up to dive after having had a couple of beer. He firmly told the guest that he was not diving, since he would be held accountable for any diving accidents on the property, because he was the senior instructor present. The guests regs were locked away, to prevent him diving).

I would suggest very carefully reading the waiver you're presented to sign, before doing so. If there is no signed waiver/agreement, you've got a rank amateur on your hands and I would suggest you run, run away.

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

I would suggest very carefully reading the waiver you're presented to sign, before doing so. If there is no signed waiver/agreement, you've got a rank amateur on your hands and I would suggest you run, run away.

I don't dispute what you say. But if a charter service doesn't have atleast a DM on board to give a dive report on the site etc I'd stay away from them just outta fear that the operator is just after the money.

I wish you well with whoever you might choose.

Merry Christmas

:)

taz22 once bubbled...

I don't dispute what you say. But if a charter service doesn't have atleast a DM on board to give a dive report on the site etc I'd stay away from them just outta fear that the operator is just after the money.
Merry Christmas

:)

I agree 100%, and too many are just after the money (charters and shops). Until I'm better educated/experienced, I will travel with my LDS (which doesn't seem any more expensive than trying to arrange one myself) or a dive club I belong to. With either one, we WILL have a DM and probably an instructor with us.

:frosty: :madelf: Merry Christmas to you also, and may Santa leave some nice new toys under your tree.

Groundhog246 once bubbled...

Until I'm better educated/experienced, I will travel with my LDS (which doesn't seem any more expensive than trying to arrange one myself) or a dive club I belong to. With either one, we WILL have a DM and probably an instructor with us.

:frosty: :madelf: Merry Christmas to you also, and may Santa leave some nice new toys under your tree.

I agree that your local LDS or scuba club is the right way to go. My scuba club ( 43 members ) includes 2 instructors and 11 Divemasters at this time. A few of us are taking the DM course and hope to complete it by the end of May ( the map should be fun ). If you ever get down to the 1000 islands send me a Pm and maybe we can hook up.

Thanks for your good wishes and best of the season to you :madelf:

taz22 once bubbled...

If you ever get down to the 1000 islands send me a Pm and maybe we can hook up.

Will do. I hope to get down that way this summer. Maybe all the way to the East Coast (was born on PEI and relatives to visit). Had planned to go last summer, but LIFE intervened. Also have relatives on my wife's side near Cornwall. She just started a new job about 3 weeks ago, so much will depend on what, if any, vacation she gets this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom