Where to find fossils in the Central Florida area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sappnasty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good morning,

It has been over 4 years since my last fossil dive. I came down for the Scubaboard Fossil Bash that weekend and it was my very first fossil dive and so far it has been my last. That weekend was absolutely amazing and on the last day I caught the itch really bad when I found my first Meg tooth floating on the bottom. It was only about 3", but a complete Meg never the less. Now that my children are a little older, I have finally found more time to dive. So long story short, I have had the bug the entire time but after looking through the entire fossil pictures thread, I really want to get back to it!

So with all of that in mind, I have a couple of questions. When I was looking through the pictures thread, I noticed a lot of members seem to be very successful at diving for fossils in freshwater rivers. Well I live in central Florida (Daytona Beach area) and there are no shortages of rivers, waterways, lakes or oceans here. My question is, for those of you who scout rivers and other areas that are similar, what are you looking for? What makes a potential fossil bed? I know you probably dive a lot and come back empty handed, but when you do find an area, what contributing factors influenced the bed?

Since I live in the Dayton Beach area, the only area I know of to look for fossils is Venice Beach between the pine tree and pipes...other areas I'm sure but thats the only one I have access to. So does anyone know of anywhere here near my location that I could dive or look?

And my last question is, what type of specialty gear or suggested gear makes that type of diving more beneficial other than the regular stuff? I found that when I was in Venice, that next time I go I will have a flash light and maybe a small trowel or garden shovel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am also looking for a dive buddy in the area that could get me back into diving and to have some fun with. please let me know.

-Michael Sapp

Fossilbabe would be an excellent source for your first question about where to find fossils inland. I would be looking for areas with large deposits of shells, but I've not gone inland much.

I don't know why, but diving, the only place I ever hear of megs being found is along that strip you're referring to between the trees and the condos, but extends south beyond the pier and north to the beach.

I wouldn't bother with a flashlight. The main issue is not usually the amount of light, but debris (silt) in the water, which a light will not help you with. I've dug, sifted, and even used my scooter to blow holes, but find that I much perfer just using my hands. And a bag to store the teeth in.

Hey Michael---

Have only been to Venice for one shark tooth dive about a month ago. A buddy and I did a day trip over and back. Would be up for another trip anytime.

Tony

Drop me a message if you would like to discuss this a little more. I will try to get you as much information as I can. ~~Fossilbabe~~

A buddy and I are headed to Venice to dive on Thursday, the 31st. We are going out with Florida West Scuba. We need a couple more divers to join us! Interested?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom