Where to go next ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subic Bay - You "Can't compare with Coron" beacause it's different class/level or...?
Also, maybe i was not clear about it -i was NOT talking about the vis.
Is it like garbage bin there (underwater)?

Getting to Layte from Malapascua (without stopping at Camotes) - what do you know about ferry from Bogo to Palompon?
Doable? Tickets on arrival to the port? Any idea of the price\crossing time?

General Santos and Mindanao in general - aren't they kinda dangerous for traveling atm?

Thanks for your continuous effort!
The wrecks in Coron are big with a lot of room to swim around without getting inside them. Those on shallow water are all covered with corals.
How long did you stay in Coron on your last visit? Did you dive the "asbestos" wreck(Kyokusan Maru) in northern Coron? Giving the number and size of wrecks there perhaps a 2nd trip is NOT a bad idea.
The vis in Subic Bay is not great but it is NOT garbage bin out there.
Know nothing about the ferry from Bogo to Palompon.
I have been to Camiguin(Cagayan de Oro), Davao and Gen San and nothing had happened to me. Can't speak for other people's opinion. We also have travel warning to Philippines.

Last edited:
2 Centrals

Well, we stayed for 2 weeks and dove pretty much everything. No North, though, coz it's too far away.
Is there anything interesting on the north Busuanga to specially go there, apart from 1 wreck (and dugong?)

2 frank707

Thanks! good find!

2 all

Found some crazy japanese shipping-lines-local-trains lover's site (a LOT of info): homepage2.nifty.com/honsyuutetudou/index.htm

The trip now looks like this (please, feel free to add\correct):

Malapascua for a 6 days, then Leyte for 6 days (4 diving, 2 sightseeing), then Subic bay OR Moalboal for 9 days (3 diving, 6 sightseeng)??
These last two steps need your input:
1. What to do for 2 days in Southern Leyte (we are motorbike-friendly) - information online is really scarce
2. What THE HELL to do on last 6 days? :confused:
We CAN NOT do more dives (budget)
We preferably stay at one place, traveling around by motorbike.
Maximum 1 change of place if nessesary (diving equipment is not light\cheap, traveling with luggage in Philippines takes time away from fun)

Is there anything interesting on the north Busuanga to specially go there, apart from 1 wreck (and dugong?)

The trip now looks like this (please, feel free to add\correct):

Malapascua for a 6 days, then Leyte for 6 days (4 diving, 2 sightseeing), then Subic bay OR Moalboal for 9 days (3 diving, 6 sightseeng)??
These last two steps need your input:
1. What to do for 2 days in Southern Leyte (we are motorbike-friendly) - information online is really scarce
Maximum 1 change of place if nessesary (diving equipment is not light\cheap, traveling with luggage in Philippines takes time away from fun)
1. Don't know much about the dugong but the wreck is very nice.
2. Know even less on land tour.
Northern Luzon might be better for motorbike tour but what do I know? But I do know Camiguin Island offers excellent out-door activities eg. cycling, hiking and not so great diving.
Can't help you much.
Have a great time in the country.

Camiguin is not an option on this trip.

Anyone else?
A penny for your thoughts on Leyte and Luzon.

Highly recommend southern Leyte sogod bay. Sogod bay scuba resort decent setup, basic but air con clean seaside rooms, wifi available, decent boat setup. Whalesharks aside, the walls of limasawa and napatau are excellent with beautiful corals, good viz and lots creatures incl
Frogfish, ghost town site offers black sand macro diving (mimics, ghost pipes etc), little lembeh site offers silt muck dives with wonderpus, hairy octopus, sea moths etc.the night dive padre Burgos pier was excellent - sea moths, seahorses galore, blue ringed octopus, star gazers. Other sites good coral coverage, some interesting topography and Pygmy seahorses.
Not a place for big fish bar the whalesharks. Best to go late dec-match for whalesharks. Not sure how to get there by ferry, I flew from Manila to tacloban and had the resort pick me up (3hrs by van). Very cheap place to dive also. Topside has caves and forests to explore.

If your last diving destination is Subic Bay, there are plenty of non-diving options in Luzon.

Right around Subic (about an hour or so bus/jeep ride + short boat ride) are Anawangin Cove, Nagsasa Cove, Camara Cove & Capones Island.

If by that time you are sick and tired of the sea and all its saltwater (???), there is also the option of going up the Cordillera mountain range: Banaue, Batad, Sagada, Buscalan & Tinglayan. The bus ride(s) will be much longer though. If you are in a group, it may make more sense to hire a vehicle & driver to bring you there.

Try diving southern Sogod Bay; fly to Tacloban and bus to Padre Burgos, or by ferry from Cebu to Maasin, then local taxi to Padre Burgos. Nice variety of dives, very little current when I dove there (Aug, 2012), mostly drift dives even with little to no current. As one option, you can stay, eat, and dive from one place-Sogod Bay Divers. Not an endorsement, just one option. Very inexpensive, but I would return to that area to dive again...I still have much to explore in the Philippines as far as dive locations, so take that into consideration as well.....

Back
Top Bottom