Where to Live and Teach...Roatan or Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taskmaster

Registered
Reaction score
Theres lots of talk on this board about which one to go to for a vacation or extended stay, but im talking about the minority of us, looking to put down roots and teach diving in the area.

Utila´s cheaper and more laid back, but less tourist traffic. Roatan has more tourist traffic and resorts, but do Instructors and DM´s get priced out of living there, or does the higher traffic and course prices pay the bills, without needing 3 roomates and tending bar on nights and weekends???

As Richard Dawson said...let´s play the feud :D

PS I know each persons situation is different, im talking in general terms for accomodation, groceries, basics, not looking to party, just dive and relax.

Hi

Roatan gets more people in the resorts but as for students you will find that Utila gets a lot more, On Utila is the busiest dive shop in the world, a couple of years ago they certified the most open water students anywhere.

But the other thing with Utila is that is has 3 IDC centers on the island producing up to 30 new instructors a month and a lot of them want to stay on the island and work, it is very competitive to get an instructors job on Utila

Utila is much cheaper to stay on, if you want a resort job Roatan is best but again you will find that most of the DM's and instructors as with resorts on Utila are very experienced.

As Roatan man on this board say's your DM should show you new things every dive, the good ones will find sea horses, nudibranchs etc etc on most dives.

Although it is competitive here if it is the life you wish to follow it can be a great life.

i also wouldnt mind getting some info on this. ive been planning on heading down there as soon as i graduate. for good.

Hi

Steve has some good points.I worked on Utila for a few years and am very familiar with Roatan also.I made these points on another board to a similar question

Pro's of Utila
1.)Laid back atmosphere
2.)Quaint Island setting
3.)Great macro(small)aquatic life
4.)Easy to get to all the good diving
5.)Northside wall diving can be spectacular
6.)Snorkeling with Whalesharks
7.)Consistent work with some DC's
8.)Flor de Cana Rum
9.)Most DC's stick to standards and offer quality training

Con's of Utila

1.)Sand flies year round
2.)Locals(crack smoking thieving one's anyway)
3.)Power shortages(2/3 weeks at a time)
4.)Dominated by 1 or 2 dive shops
5.)Some DC's cut corners to compete on price
6.)IDC output is massive for such a small place,loads of new Instructors every month who will work for nothing
7.)Small place,nothing to do but dive despite what all the advertisements say
8.)Boring,crappy food
9.)Limited diving adventures(wrecks,caves etc)
10.)You have to "hussle"your own students with everyone else on the town pier.Or you lose out.Worst part of the job by far.Should be illegal but the local owners write their own rules.
11.)No big fish or schools of fish,all fished out,sharks,groupers tuna etc etc.
12.)No real beaches

Thats what I think anyway.Had a great time there but would not go back.Price for everything rises yet wages stay put or go down when the weekly price wars start.If you have the gift of the gab,don't mind selling yourself like a tout,can handle bugs etc then go for it and enjoy.

Although the diving in Utila is exellent,Roatan offers much more quality diving.More expensive for sure but look at the boats and the resorts compared to Utila.Real food,real wages and much more to do.There is more than just swamp here.You can still get the laid back affair in the West End of Roatan also.All in all better diving,lots of new wrecks,swim throughs etc.

Not as many people come through however,turnover on Utila is way more.

Check out both places for sure and I think you Will be happy in one of them.I was for many a good year.

Dark Side:
Not as many people come through however,turnover on Utila is way more.

Dark side,

In Roatan 2005 285000 cruise ship gusts visited and 'enjoyed' the diving and reef, the target for the authorities is 350000 visitors per year.

Utila 0 cruise ships

How exactly do you define 'commercial' as per your previous post? Padawan.

The old cruiseship story doesn't really work as most of the cruise shippers are herded off to the big resorts, and don't make it into the laid back West End, and of course Andy is going to make it sound like Utila is the place to be, he stands to profit from it. The cruise ships come thru starting October and then there can be 2 a week, xmas week is the busiest week for cruiseships. Right now there is one every two weeks. West End of Roatan, easy to find decent accomodation for us$300 a month or less if you share. Restaurants are much better, with lots more choice and really not that pricey. The general ambience and scenery are much better and the diving is in my books easier and much more interesting than Utila, I have dived on both islands. The dive sites are much closer most of the good dive sites can be reached within 10 minutes from the West End and the dive boats don't leave until 9.00am. I was talking to one instructor who left Utila to work in Roatan, he said in Utila he had to be at work by 6.30am. The critters are pretty much the same. There are about 10 dve shops on the West End and I guess the average monthly wage would be somewhere between us$1000-us$1200 per month. West End is beach road dive community, whereas Utila is concrete road, lots of electric wires, cheap people and no beaches. Just my 2 cents worth

"The old cruiseship story doesn't really work as most of the cruise shippers are herded off to the big resorts, and don't make it into the laid back West End"

Incorrect, on cruise ship days the West end is packed with traffic and visitors paying over inflated prices. I have seen it myself and as quoted from Bay Islands Diver.com (a website close to Shadow Diver);

"Between November and April, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday are Cruise ship days in Roatan. During the day there will be loads of fat people wearing white sneakers and white socks. Don't go to the same places as them, you will be ripped off! Taxis will cost more everything goes up in price. Just hang on it goes back down at 6pm!
You have to be more selective in Roatan than Utila. There are a few expensive bars in Roatan, they cater to rich tourists on short holidays. If you go into them you will find Roatan very expensive! That doesn't mean that there are not cheaper bars as well. Ask the dive instructors where they drink - trust me they are not rich!
Since there are a lot of rich tourists and cruise ship visitors there are often two different prices, one in dollars and one in Lempira. Always get the price in Lempira it will usually be cheaper than the dollar price, an easy way to make people off the cruise ship pay more - they don't understand the local currency!"

"And of course Andy is going to make it sound like Utila is the place to be, he stands to profit from it."

I wrote my post with regards to Utila being labelled as having a higher turnover, I was not directly promoting the facility I represent. In fact I have written this post in response to the OP, knowing that the usual worms come out, but I will quote only facts, even refraining from giving my own personal opinion, if the OP wants that they can PM me. So 'Shadow Diver' please take that ignorant comment and Will you put it where the sun does not shine.

"The general ambience and scenery are much better and the diving is in my books easier and much more interesting than Utila, I have dived on both islands."

So have I and that comment is a personal opinion.

"The dive sites are much closer most of the good dive sites can be reached within 10 minutes from the West End and the dive boats don't leave until 9.00am. I was talking to one instructor who left Utila to work in Roatan, he said in Utila he had to be at work by 6.30am."

There are boats that make the 2 hour journey from Roatan to Utila on a regular basis for different dive sites, but mainly for a Whale shark encounter. Most visitors have travelled serval 1000 k's to get here, what's an 8pm start and a 30 minute boat ride for the best diving on the island and a Whale shark, Manta Ray or Dolphin encounter. How long does it take to get from West End to Mary's place? If you want to stay in bed we have boats that depart at 1pm or 2pm, we even have over 20 dives sites within a 10 minute boat trip.

"The critters are pretty much the same."

I agree, though it appears you do build an immunity after some time, that isn't effective if you visit the other island.

"There are about 10 dve shops on the West End and I guess the average monthly wage would be somewhere between us$1000-us$1200 per month."

11 dive shops on Utila, a big difference in earnings potential, average expenses are $700 per month, including rent and food and drinks etc. It depends on who you work for, I would say there are 3-4 dive centres where you can earn on average $1800 per month. I would estimate over 6 months of living and working on Utila, you would have gained more experience on Utila, saved more, and had the opportunity to teach a greater variety of courses. Up until 18 months ago, there wasn't one facility in the West End really offering specialized dive training.

"West End is beach road dive community, whereas Utila is concrete road, lots of electric wires, cheap people and no beaches."

I disagree with the cheap people part, we just have a higher demographic of backpackers, who also are professionals (Doctors, Lawyers etc...) on time out, or looking for career changes, we also have a lot of University/College grads visiting. Utila is set on a concrete road, but there are beaches, they are not artificial and surrounded by condos, you just need to go out of the town to discover them.

As a dive industry here are some other facts about Utila;

Over 50 dives sites, with access from 10 minutes to 45 minutes, diversity from fringing reef, to seamounts, to sheer walls and drop offs.

The best chances for a Whale shark encounter all year round.

All dive sites have mooring posts and the island has several environmental projects in place. A plastic recycling program on the island, a coral garden regrowing project on the South side, a Whale shark research center, a Dolphin study program accredited with the University of Missouri, Whale shark study by Eco Ocean.

A hyperbaric chamber with 5 day tender courses available.

3 PADI Instructor Development Centers of which 2 are PADI Career Development Centers, and also 1 National Geographic Center.

Several dive centers who have won environmental, industry and educational awards from PADI.

Over 8000 PADI certifications are issued per year on Utila, as a break down, that's approximately 700 per month, amongst 11 dive schools averages 60 (which is not representative), however if you want to get more experience as an Instructor in the Bay Islands, then Utila attracts more divers seeking training, and cheaper living costs generally result in more divers staying through to further their diver education.

Almost all dive centers offer PADI specialty training, from EANx, to photography, to environmental courses and there are 2 technical diving facilities with active programs to trimix Instructor. If you do a search on DAN's website www.diversalertnetwork.org you'll find that only DAN training programs are currently available on Utila.

As for social conditions on Utila there is no violent crime (touch wood!!!) and a Municipal tourist police force in effect at night. You do not need to take taxis, there is less traffic, and most people get around by bicycle, other activities on offer are water sports, horse back riding, bush tours, a health club and yes, there are 2 nice beaches!!!! A cold beer costs approximately $1 compared to $1.50 on Roatan (and the average visitor is not their long enough to get to know the bar staff) and there are restaurants serving Italian, Israeli, Creole, Asian and Island style meals for on average $4-8.

So those are my facts for the OP, nothing disparaging and now I intend to leave this post and concentrate on my course that starts tomorrow. I hope it helps the OP in their decision making process and Will keep the trolls under the bridge!

Warm regards,
Andy

Hi All and Andy

Well put Andy, may I just correct you on one thing, you say 50 dive sites, we have now 70 and intend by the end of the year to have 100 buoyed sites around the island.

Sorry perhaps that is my fault by not keeping everyone informed on the progress of our buoy project.

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi All and Andy

Well put Andy, may I just correct you on one thing, you say 50 dive sites, we have now 70 and intend by the end of the year to have 100 buoyed sites around the island.

Sorry perhaps that is my fault by not keeping everyone informed on the progress of our buoy project.

Good work to all you guys at UDSEC Steve, 70 buoyed sites is very impressive!!!

Warm regards,
Andy

OK...who's up to bat now??

Regards,

Back
Top Bottom