Where to Live and Teach...Roatan or Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait:
OK...who's up to bat now??

Regards,

Entertainments all part of the game Cuda!!!!

Regards,
Andy

Andy, Steve, et al.............Glad you guys are doing well and having fun. Have a Salva for me this evening!

Regards,

Hi Cuda

Us having fun nahhhh, Imagine it we have to live in the Caribbean, go diving everyday, see Whale Sharks, Drink a cold Salve after, good friends, no we hate it, we just do it so other people don't have to.

DeepBlueDivers:
Hi Cuda

Us having fun nahhhh, Imagine it we have to live in the Caribbean, go diving everyday, see Whale Sharks, Drink a cold Salve after, good friends, no we hate it, we just do it so other people don't have to.

Thanks Steve. We surely appreciate your sacrifice.

By the way, we were in Utila and Roatan a couple months ago and had little problem with sand flies in Utila, but were eaten alive on West Bay in Roatan. Utila is certainly not worse than Roatan for them. Other friends on the south side of Roatan had little problem with them at the same time we were there. Apparently it is highly dependent on the winds at the time and how much time you spend on the beach. See my travel reports at http://scuba.royalcs.com

Looking forward to going back next year.

whats the rent like if you dont want to share accomodations in roatan?

Andy,

fyi, I have nothing to do with the website Bay Island Diver, that belongs to a guy called Will who used to be an instructor at the dive shop I use in Roatan, he now has his own restaurant. If you took offence at my posting, that was not my intention. But come on, anyone who includes their company name/logo at the end of their email AND as their avatar is surely trying to get a plug for their company. I try to offer advice for people looking for it. I plug the dive shop I use because I know the owners PJ and Gay (who have worked hard to raise the standards of diving in the West End) do not troll the dive forums, and they do a fantastic job. By the way the four times I have been to Utila I have used UDC and always had a great time. But the fact remains, I still much prefer Roatan. FYI I have had property here for 16 years now and have done PLENTY of diving around the island, I used to work down in Roatan as a divemaster and now divide my time between the UK and Roatan. The numbers you quote for cruiseshippers may well be correct, what you fail to mention is that probably only 1-2% of those people are actually divers! The facts!

I appreciate the feedback, but wer're kinda getting off topic, im not interested in one dive shop over the other, what i need to know is in general terms, in Roatan will you be further off in terms of cash flow(money in vs. money out) than in Utila.

BTW, there may be some instructors earning 1800/mth on Utila, but ive seen too many leave cause of too little $$ and having to have roomates to think that its the norm. Maybe course directors are earning that but i havent seen too many OWSI's pulling that kind of scratch in.

I'll agree w/Taskmaster, there may be some making $1800/mo, but I don't see it as the norm - on either island. One thing to keep in mind re: income, instrustors are usually paid a % of the courses they can teach/sell, and that % varies depending on your own instrustor level. The more you teach, the more you get out & promote a course & the higher your own instructor level, has a LOT to do w/how much income you can bring in.

So if you want to make your living teaching, look at which island does the most certifications, because you'll be making your $$ off those numbers. If you want to make your living Divemastering Day Trips or Resort Dives, then look at which island has the most tourist traffic. Often, the 2 are not the same.

I enjoy both islands, for different reasons. The 1st step is to decide how you want to make your living, and see which island has the best opportunity to do that.

Back
Top Bottom