Where to place that new dive knife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j.doe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey Everyone

This might seem like a dumb question, but, I have a new titanium dive knife that I am debating where to put it. Traditionally I have strapped it to my lower leg, however the possibilities for this one, allow it on my wing shoulder or waist straps, or along side my gear pouch on my hip.

Where do you like your knife to be located?

... anywhere it can be deployed with either hand. If on the leg, place it on the inside of the calf. Personally, I wear mine on the waistbelt of my harness.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just curious, why should it go on the inside rather than the outside? Still a new diver and my BC doesn't have knife gromets or it would be on my vest. I asked someone at a dive I was doing and they said it didn't matter.

Just curious, why should it go on the inside rather than the outside? Still a new diver and my BC doesn't have knife gromets or it would be on my vest. I asked someone at a dive I was doing and they said it didn't matter.

More likely to snag something on the outside of the leg vs inside & I find it's easier to get to on the inside.

That said, I don't carry a knife. Just a OMS line cutter and EMT shears.

Depending on the size I keep mine on the BC shoulder strap where I can get to it without twisting around.
But if it is larger than a 2in. blade then I would definitely consider the inside of your calf in order to reduce the chance of entanglement.

With it on the inside I was just kinda worried about being panicky and yanking it out and accidentally cutting something important...like my knee.

... Anywhere it can be deployed with either hand. If on the leg, place it on the inside of the calf. Personally, i wear mine on the waistbelt of my harness.

... Bob (grateful diver)

... +1

Where do you like your knife to be located?

If you had asked me this question about 4 years ago, I would have given you a different answer because I was in the midst of an ugly divorce and my now exwife was being completely irrational and making life miserable for me.

But I'm over that so I'll just say "anywhere you can easily reach it on your BCD".

I put it on the inside side of the calf. I lost a knife (cheap one) so I secured it to the holster with fishing line (just long enough to be able to take the knife out). After today's first dive I found the knife dangling. Without the line it would've been another $40. I also use 2 straps in case the strap becomes undone.

You want to be able to reach it with either hand. Think about how much more difficult it would be to reach with your left hand if, say, it was located on the outside of your right leg ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom