Where to spend 50th birthday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Where to spend 50th birthday?" Suggestions? We plan far in advance so we can save up the funds to do the trip.

TwoBitTxn,

A couple of years before I turned 50 I wrote an article for my then newly created Web site, entitled "Fifty at Fifty" (a practical project for using the XHTML/CSS I was teaching myself). The article detailed exactly what I would need to do/have to complete an open circuit dive to 50 fathoms by/on my fiftieth birthday. There are a couple of Lake Superior shipwrecks I had in mind for this eventful dive, but I also thought a deep wall dive off Grand Cayman would serve nicely, too. Just an idea for what you might plan for *your* fiftieth!

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. I never did do the dive. And now I would have to re-write and re-title the article "Sixty at Sixty!"

Last edited:
I did my 67th birthday in Bonaire and Aruba last month.

Why wait on Antarctica? Heck, one of my college professors dove it wet back during the International Geophysical Year in 1957. Of course it was a 13mm wetsuit and he looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy in black.

Asia Pacific:
Bikini Atoll, GBR, Komodo, Maldives, Palau, PNG, Raja Ampat, Truk, Tubattaha.

What about Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Up towards the Cairns area there are multiple dive resorts. Most of the resorts are on the mainland and then you take a dive boat out to the reef, but can be up to 2 hours. A liveaboard would get you out to places on the reef you couldn't get to on a single day dive boat. The only resort on the GBR that is on the reef itself is Heron Island. It basically caters to divers. You take a ferry or helicopter out to the resort from Gladstone near Brisbane. If you go in the spring during turtle hatching season there are special rules and regulations because of the lights but would be a really awesome experience when you are not diving. There are no phones and no televisions in the rooms. Contrary to what my kids said they did survive the week we were there without their electronics. Mom and Dad had big smiles having left those things alone for a week. But the diving was truly spectacular.

Back
Top Bottom