Where to Stay on Little Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can share my "vast" knowledge of n=1....stayed at LCBR in February. Very good experience there. I think LCBR (40 rooms) is bigger than SCC. That said, LCBR operated like a well-oiled machine. They are within a few hundred yards of each other on the same side of Little Cayman.

Dive times = Similar to comments above....there was a guideline provided, but not miltantly enforced. Most of my dives were in the 50-60 minute range, with a few > 60 min. Someone also asked about morning dive #2 being limited to 45 min to get back for lunch.....I looked at my logbook and my 2nd dives were 51, 57, 59, 53, 55, and 62 min :cool2:

I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

We loved Southern Cross and have not stayed at LCBR so I cannot comment on them but SCC was the pinacle of all our trips so far, the food was exceptional rooms incredible and diving fantastic. We loved the small groups on the dive boats. We had a max of 10 divers and a.min of 4 dive masters. I am only repeating what another guest related but LCBR was more of a cattle call with only 2 dives masters and 16 divers. We all got to dive our tanks and no max time under. 3 dives per day and some afternoon dives were only 6 resort divers. All.dive masters were excellent...very patient and knowledgable...if you had a camera they helped in any way possible. At SCC your complete satisfaction is there goal. Yes it costs a little more but the intimate size was a great plus for us . We walked down and thru LCBR and it was more of a hotel whereas SCC more like a mom and pop but at a very high seevice and quality level...we really cannot think or anything we did not just love. Ok so we spent a $200 or so more but it was just my wife and I and the romantic level was over the top..SCC club does not try to compete with a dive only operation it strives for total customer satisfaction. We will be going back in July and I almost did not write this because we want it to remain unknown! Pls feel free to pm me if you want more info. Bill and DeeDee

Just returned from Southern Cross and had great dives, room, food. Dive Masters give excellent briefings and find unique sights. Never rushed on dives. Most dives 60 - 65 minutes. Don't know anything about LCBR but highly recommend Southern Cross.

There was a period of time many years ago when the op at LCBR got really uptight and freaked when you came up at 61 minutes, and it stopped us from going there for a number of years. But I heard they'd lightened up so we went back, and it's fine. They will suggest 60 or whatever and may start to remind people in a friendly way if things get too far behind schedule - and given the routine of the place there it wouldn't really be cool to stay down way after everyone all the time and interfere with everyone else's lunch/nap. Of course if you're easy on air and quick to get ready, try to be near the back of the boat and be in the water first.

Last edited:
Another vote to LCBR...no make that 3 or 4. I have never been to a better land based dive resort anywhere in the world. It is simple, superbly ergonomic, spacious rooms, fun bar, great food (and there is a lot of it in the buffets), nice dive centre and great diving - probably the best on the Caribbean. The guides were very good when I went and I crossed to 60-minute mark on at least 3 dives and no one complained.

There was a period of time many years ago when the op at LCBR got really uptight and freaked when you came up at 61 minutes, and it stopped us from going there for a number of years. But I heard they'd lightened up so we went back, and it's fine. They will suggest 60 or whatever and may start to remind people in a friendly way if things get too far behind schedule - and given the routine of the place there it wouldn't really be cool to stay down way after everyone all the time and interfere with everyone else's lunch/nap. Of course if you're easy on air and quick to get ready, try to be near the back of the boat and be in the water first.

I don't think that it was Reef Divers (LCBR) who was uptight, but primarily a few of the divemasters. One, whom I called "the Dragon Lady", was such a PITA that we were close to open warfare--the only time that this has happened. Fortunately she left about 6 years ago. There was another, who left last year, who was quite strict, but most of the DM's are pretty laid back. But, they do have a lunch schedule and need to be back in time.

OTOH, I have seen guests who have extended their dives far beyond what is acceptable. One was my instabuddy for one dive (just one). She was an MD from New York who thought she should be able to dive as long as she wanted and repeatedly did so. On my dive with her, I finally left her near the boat on Mixing Bowl some 75 minutes into the dive and told the DM's that if they wanted her on board they could go get her--and one did.

On the north side there is access to Jackson's wall from the beach. I've dived there several times when the boats could not get out through the cut on the south because of waves.

Most of the DM's are pretty laid back. But, they do have a lunch schedule and need to be back in time.

OTOH, I have seen guests who have extended their dives far beyond what is acceptable. One was my instabuddy for one dive (just one). She was an MD from New York who thought she should be able to dive as long as she wanted and repeatedly did so. On my dive with her, I finally left her near the boat on Mixing Bowl some 75 minutes into the dive and told the DM's that if they wanted her on board they could go get her--and one did.
I felt that the time limitations on the dives were placed to be fair to all the guests and not for the DM's convenience. If some guests have to wait too long on the boat after a dive, they will complain about those who are tardy. This especially the case if they are hungry or have a long diving day planned. Obviously, if a diver surfaces after only 25 minutes, he/she has to expect to wait for the others to return in their own times. But if a diver surfaces after 55 minutes and then has to wait for a further 20 minutes, some might feel that it is legit to moan. That is the reason that a lot of dayboats have that arbitrary 60-minute 'deadline'.

It is generally considered appropriate for the divers to try to accommodate one another with a bit of give and take. Some divers however are arrogant enough o assume that they can do what they want irrespective of inconvenience to others. Your "MD from New York" sounds like one such.

Back
Top Bottom